Discus help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have (1) 4 in. Blue diamond discus, (1) 3.5in Red Turk, and (1) 3.5 in Yellow Marlboro in a 60g heavily planted tank. There is also some tetras in the tank along with 3 blue rams.

The tanks stats are:
0 ammonia,nitrite
no noticable nitrate-ever, I do not dose this the fish food produces just enough.
ph. 6.6
kh. 4
gh. not sure test kit expired. I am pretty sure it is moderate due to large drift wood.
temp. 84
water change and serious vac from tap, (2-3) times a week.

Food-omega one freshwater flakes and frozen bloodworms.

My problem is that he morboro used to be the big boss man with (2) smaller turks and the bigger blue diamond in the tank. Now that the smaller turks left to grow up a little and I added another turk just a little smaller than him, he is a pussy cat. Hiding under the lotus and wood. I did notice that he may have had gill flukes so I just finished a (3) day treatment with coppersafe.

There is no aggression in the tank, he used to be very aggressive for a discus, now the balance has been shifted. Also, the discus do not seem to be bothered by the other fish(they ignore them).

Anyway, I just wanted to try and give a clear picture.

My question is, what could be causing this, how can I get him back to normal behavior and eating better.

Please let me know if you have any leads,

Kevin

p.s. Please tell me to go get another discus. J/k

sorry about the *beep* mods. Ill try to keep my nose cleaner from now on.

You really need to get BrianNY's advice, he's like the Discus Guru around here, he knows his Discus :D
[Chile hollering] "BrianNY!, Yo BrianNY!, Where ya at Bro?!" [/Chile hollering]

I believe the violation was due to the two words being wrote separately.
Sounds to me like he's just intimidated by the newcomer. My most aggressive discus is the smallest one in the bunch. :? Perhaps he just needs more time to get used to the idea of another fish in his pond. I'll send Brian a PM to direct him here. Perhaps he can give you some insight on discus behavior.

Discus will establish a pecking order. Nothing to worry about there. Adding another discus oftemn changes the pecking order, and the more discus the merrier (seems to me). :wink:

Careful on your diagnosis. Discus suffer from a variety of gill probs. Some are bacterial, and some can be fungal. If your fish doesn't improve, I would QY and treat with an antibiotic like furacyn green.

Back
Top Bottom