Discus Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravityman67

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the hobby but I've always loved fish (especially discus) I just have a "dinosaur eel" (bichir) in a planted 55 gal tank. My wife just said I could get one of the larger aquariums (100-125 gal) for a setup in our living room :D and I would love to set up a discus tank. I have a book on discus so I know their water requirements etc. But like they say, there's nothing like experience. I would appreciate any advice on setting up a discus tank (especially any info on the best places to purchase them, my local fish store doesn't like to order them and charges about $100 each....and they don't have any guarantee on the fish...) There was one site that was selling them out of san fran for something like $5 each but they are very young so I know they won't ship very well. Anyway, any and all advice will be very much appreciated!

Check ebay and www.aquabid.com for people who sell discus in your area. If you are going to do a planted tank get lare discus/adults to start with. Otherwise, you will most definately fail at growing them to a descent size.

It has to be a discus first tank, not plants discus and these other fish I really liked.-What I mean is, you can keep different things with discus, but you need to take care of the discus' needs, not the other inhabitants or else you will fail and your discus will get sick and die. But things can co-exist with discus, mainly the fish that share their native waters.

Back
Top Bottom