Dither fish and cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this article from Wikipedia, on the subject of dither fish and cichlids.

The following is the quote from Wikipedia,

“The term dither fish refers to an arbitrary group of aquarium fish used by cichlid keeping aquarists to reduce innate timidity in some species of cichlids.

Dither fish typically swim around the top of a tank and this behavior encourages more timid fish to relax and venture out more by reassuring them no predators are around. The technique relies on the ability of cichlids in an aquarium to use the behavior of other fish species as a measure of environmental security.

Good dither fish are typically schooling species, such as some Danio species, Barbs and some Tetra species.”

Is this true?

Dither fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it is true to most SA/CA cichlids but they do not work with Africans usually. I notice you have an african tank so I would recommend you not get them. I will have some other experts chime in on this but they are unnecessary with africans.

Yes it is true to most SA/CA cichlids but they do not work with Africans usually. I notice you have an african tank so I would recommend you not get them. I will have some other experts chime in on this but they are unnecessary with africans.

Dithers can be used with West African Riverine cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm aware I'm just trying to break the bad habit of saying "African cichlids" when referring to Mbuna.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ohhh, Ok. The only reason I referred to them as "African Cichlids" was that I noticed in his signature that he keeps mbuna. Ill be a little more specific in the future. (y)

I've seen zebra danios used as a dither species for shell dwellers, so saying tangs don't have them used is kind of inaccurate

I've seen zebra danios used as a dither species for shell dwellers, so saying tangs don't have them used is kind of inaccurate

Ok, Not common would have been better to say. So many exceptions, I was just making a fairly accurate generality. I would honestly keep most shell dwellers in a species only though, more natural behavior that could be disturbed by the busy danios.

Back
Top Bottom