Do ciclids NEED bubble walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiz561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I've had my cichlids for about two months now and just today when I did a water change, I notice them coming up towards the top more even when I don't feed them. I know that if you see fish swim towards the top and back down, I think it means they are getting some air. I also see them suck/pick on stuff in the aquarium, such as lava rock, the filter pipes, plants, etc. after a water change.

I've never had a bubble wand in here before (airstone, any sort of bubble generator), and was just wondering if it's a wise idea to put one in for them. Does pumping air into the tank actually put oxygen in it? Describing my fish, should I get one?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Aerators do not really add O2 to the water column. What they do is cause surface agitation and THATS where most of the CO2/O2 exchange occurs. If you have a lot of surface agitation, a bubble wall isn't necessary; if your water surface is usually calm, you may want to consider one.

There are other reasons fish seek out O2 from the surface (if thats even what yours are doing). Ammonia burns the gills, nitrites compete with O2 at the gills and both suffocate the fish. Check your levels if you haven't already to be sure theres no prob coming from that arena.

Hmmm... I'm not really sure what kind of cichlids I have. I think they MIGHT be Chisumulu Johanni and Metriaclima estherae? They are one blue fish with black stripes and a black top fin, and the other are three bright orange smaller fish. The Johanni is about 4 inches or so long, and the orange ones are about 2 inches long.

As for the tank, I have a 29 gallon tank with a Eheim canister filter. I have a lava rock, a broken flower pot, and about 6 or so fake plastic plants in it.

Thanks! :)

Mike

Why wouldn't you have air pumping into your tank? I've always thought it was a requirement.

I have a 55 gal and I have a bubble wall and 2 airstones plumbing bubbles into the tank. This makes for constant agitation of the water's surface. I personally like it this way...Plus, with just the filter running to make agitation, there's not nearly enough, and one whole half of the water's surface practically stands still if I don't use the airstones.

bubble walls

I have bubble walls in my tank just to add a different look there not on the back wall like I was told there were supposed to be. I have them hiding a castle. I have to Fluval 3 filter's with power heads for a ruff curent. one side is ruff as can be the other side of the tank is calm for night time sleep and one of the filters is turned off at night when the lights go out for calmer water.

Nobody "needs" bubble walls except the aquarist, in terms of esthetics. If the fish are going to the surface a lot and seem to be having labored breathing, then there are water quality issues afoot that need to be addressed and will not be solved by a bubble wall. I personally like them but have enrolled in a 12-step program to rid my tanks of them, as I keep planted tanks now and the only one with one now is a rocky rift lake unplanted biotope tank (gotta give me at least one, okay?)

I have many types of cichlids in my 200 gal tank - Convicts, a Bocourti, Severums, Blue Acaras, a Brazilliensus (sp) , Blood Parrots (cichlid hybrid) , Rainbow - and other non-cichlids - 3 Clown Loach Botias & a Synodontis cat.

I have never had bubbles inside the tank - it has a wet/dry running because it was a salt tank in a former life. :wink: SO I Have lots of nice filtration already. Maybe I don't have any bubbles because if I plug one more thing under there my outlet would explode :lol: lol

The 30 gallon I have running at my son's day care has bubble curtain and one of those treasure chests that the lid opens and closes. Obviously for the "OOOOOH" factor for the kids. Lots of major hardy tetras, barbs and such there!!! (black skirts, Buenos Aries, head & tail light, serape, cherry barbs, rosy barbs, pictus cat)
You get the idea - Lots of flashy movement going on in that tank.

My point is that it must be the visual effect that you go for in the tank, but only after you have addressed water quality issues. Bubbles are just decoration - like great rocks or plants. I would say it is personal preference not a necessity!

Back
Top Bottom