electric blue cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retorres70

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
when i got the electric blue's the male was blue and the female was grey. well here in the last couple of days she has turned bright blue also. is this normal? im sure its normal but what does that mean? thnks in advance

asked this in general descussion, figured i could ask her since ive gotten alot of help here. when i got the electric blue's the male was blue and the female was grey. well here in the last couple of days she has turned bright blue also. is this normal? im sure its normal but what does that mean? thnks in advance

I have no expeience with blues, but cichlids tend to change color when finding a mate, or becoming sexually mature. Best bet is one of these.

I am not familiar with this specie, but the coloration of fish changes with their mood.
It is likely that your female was more stressed then the male and that she got used to the new enviroment and thus got her normal coloration back. It may also have something to do with the fish maturing and changing colors a little.

i don't think she got used to thing i have had them for about 6 months now. if it took her that long to get used to things then, i don't know. i was thinking the maturity thing. finding a mate? any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Juveniles (if we are talking about electric blue "ahli" or Sciaenochromis fryeri) are drab grey, so if you got them small then they might both be males. Hope you have a very large tank... :wink:

As posted in the General forum, immature ahli's are all dull grey, and the males turn blue with maturity, females don't. If you have 2 blue ones, you have 2 males, and things might get a bit nasty between them.

Back
Top Bottom