exCichlasoma festae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well if this one takes I'll be only the 8th person to turn in festae fry in GCCA, this is their second attempt. I had to remove every fish including the male since she started watching the eggs.

Attachments

• DSC_0612.jpg
    DSC_0612.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0613.jpg
    DSC_0613.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0618.jpg
    DSC_0618.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0617.jpg
    DSC_0617.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 168
HUKIT said:
Well if this one takes I'll be only the 8th person to turn in festae fry in GCCA, this is their second attempt. I had to remove every fish including the male since she started watching the eggs.

Beautiful fish! What does GGCA stand for?

awesome,good luck:) how big is she?how old?

She is around 5" and the male is around 4.5", all my festae are slightly over the 14 month mark. The males reach 14-20" and the female will hit 9-12" depending on how often she spawns.

Beautiful fish! What does GGCA stand for?

Greater Chicago Cichlid Association.

Last edited:
That's a hell of an egg laying job. She's getting creative. As you said, it looks hard to defend. Hope you get a nice batch of fry!

HUKIT said:

That's one of the best looking Cichlids I've ever seen.

That's a hell of an egg laying job. She's getting creative. As you said, it looks hard to defend. Hope you get a nice batch of fry!

That was a bad place to put her eggs right on the side of overflow, she had no good way to protect them from those miserable royal plecs! I toss in a couple of flowerpots for her next time, as they will be easier to guard or toss the plecs along with everyone else in other tanks.

Please keep us updated on their progress. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Well I'll have to try again in six weeks.

Well this thread doesn't get a happy ending, she ended up killing her mate prior to their third spawn. I have one more male but he's significantly smaller and will need some time to catch up to her before I can try again.

Well this thread doesn't get a happy ending, she ended up killing her mate prior to their third spawn. I have one more male but he's significantly smaller and will need some time to catch up to her before I can try again.
aw,that sucks. good luck with the other one

WOW I'm sorry to hear that. I don't keep any of the really aggressive guys, but I thought it was usually the male that killed the female and not the other way around! She must be one nasty girl...

HUKIT said:
She is the most aggressive fish I've ever kept, at only 6" she has already killed over 20 fish from target, dithers, and other large cichlids.

That is one aggressive fish!

Back
Top Bottom