Female red empress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axbrown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a Red Empress cichlid yesterday, male, and the guy at the lfs was telling me I should breed them. I told him I wasn't really interested, but out of curiosity googled what a female looked like when I got home, and realized I might have had one already. The guy at the lfs store told me the females were ugly, but I love mine. If this is what it is. Anyways, just to make sure, is this a female Red Empress? And if they do breed, since I was told they hold their young in there mouth, can I just move the female to an iso tank and let her do her thing? And lastly, how big does she have to be to breed? She's 2/3 his size right now.

The last one is the male

Attachments

• image-3717362857.jpg
    image-3717362857.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-4005289575.jpg
    image-4005289575.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1733977946.jpg
    image-1733977946.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2834667410.jpg
    image-2834667410.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 78
Also, what is the size of you're tank?
Here's some info i got:
Breeding: Mouth-brooder. One male to 3 females are kept together. The male keeps a small breeding territory. The female will brood for up to 4 weeks. You can tell if a female is brooding by her enlarged mouth and the fact that she isn’t eating. Fry are quite small and fragile but will accepts most kinds of food. They grow very fast and a large aquarium is recommended to raise the fry. Brooding females are isolated for more productive breeding. It is recommendable to try to make the isolation as short as possible to avoid that the females loses their social status which may cause fights once they are returned. Both parents care for the fry.

My tanks a 75 gallon, and she's 2/3 the size of the male, and the males about 4.5 inches, so she's maybe 2.5 to 3 inches

Back
Top Bottom