Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babymama18301

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 55g cichlid tank I have two 55/75 gallon filters. I was wondering instead of using the Cartridges I could just do my own media stuff and put it in like Carbon and sponges. The cartridges only have like 15 pieces of carbon in them and my tap water is a lil discolored even after boiling so I kinda need to boost up the carbon. My canister filter malfunctioned and I woke up to my fish only having like 9 inches of water :-( bad bad morning I just don't have the money right now to go get another canister.

Also what is everyone's thought on media balls? I have them in my salt water tank but now I seem to have a trate build up in there even after multiple big water changes are they the cause of the build up? And I only have like 5 3 inch fish in there. Feed every other day so I know it's not that..

Many of us don't use the cartridge we just throw different things in them. All media needs to be washed or thrown out. They will begin to raise trates as time goes. Bio balls should be rinsed, clean the walls inside of the filter and clean the pump and tubing every so often too.

Many of us don't use the cartridge we just throw different things in them. All media needs to be washed or thrown out. They will begin to raise trates as time goes. Bio balls should be rinsed, clean the walls inside of the filter and clean the pump and tubing every so often too.

I rinse the filters like every 4 mons with a bucket of tank water I just took out should I do it more often or with clean Dechlorinated water.

And I will deff go clean the media balls some one told me I should never touch them and only change the carbon and sponges ugh in my saltwater the filter is behind it (nano cube 24) I've always lightly scrubbed back there but never cleaned media balls thank you much for the advice. Glad I got right info before it got to high!!!

I rinse mine out when I do water changes and some get done more than that.

Don't clean all the media in all the filters at the same time or you'll have a bacteria bloom or worse. I only clean like half the substrate then one filter every few days.

Edit

Only use tank water or you'll kill the BB in the filter pad or whatever it is you use. When you buy new stuff to put in the filters. Only replace a little at a time or 1 filter every week or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom