Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok my dentist has a malawi cichlid tank in his office. i can ID most of the fish... but there is a pair of cichlids that i think are really cool looking but i am not sure what they are.

i am not sure if they a mbuna or hap, not even 100 sure they are malawi.

white body, black vertical stripes, stomach starts out red near the front of the body, blends through orange to yellow at the tail (that might be reversed :?)

any ideas of what this fish is?

DeFeKt said:
latifasciata?

http://wetpetz.com/latifasciata.htm

The females are just black and white. Some dominant males also have a blue tinge to the face..
EXACTLY! i knew i could count on you guys! :D

so it is not a malawi cichlid, but they are in fact from a much smaller rift lake, north of lake victoria.

would they work with a group of less aggressive mbuna? if i ever upgrade my 45 gallon i might consider them (even if it breaks my usually "strict" stocking of malawi only :D)

in the my dentists tank (i would say it is a 125 gallon or so, but it is only half filled with water and 1/4 of it is "dry land) for the 3 small red-eared sliders he keeps in there) the other fish he has are yellow labs, Pseudotropheus saulosi, and a lone raibowfish :?\
not that the way he has it stocked means anything, personaly with the "land" and all the driftwood and rocks sticking out for the turtles and only 1/2 what water, the tank looks cool, but is paifuly overstocked IMO, even for mubuna who are normaly overstocked.

mine work well in my community and I have 4 males 5 females. (View Sig)
All males are coloured as if they "think" they are all dominant.

Back
Top Bottom