Frontosa setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidsheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!
I'm planning to get 14 zaire blue frontosa around 2inches and they will go in a 8foot 230gallon tank.
Now the question is will I be able to grow other tanganyikan cichlids in the same tank or frontosas will kill them?
My plan is to have these frontosa and other tanganyikans like "Neolamprologus leleupi Kariliani" in the same tank till the frontosa hits around 5inches and will separate the Kariliani to a different tank.

Your comment will be appreciated thanx.

I would keep the fonts alone as a colony, if you want the beautiful flowing finage then don't expose them to nippy fish like the lemons. Frontosa are very shy when smaller and when feeding time comes around they will be out competed by the fast movers like lemons. Best bet is a large colony for long term health and appearance.

HUKIT said:
I would keep the fonts alone as a colony, if you want the beautiful flowing finage then don't expose them to nippy fish like the lemons. Frontosa are very shy when smaller and when feeding time comes around they will be out competed by the fast movers like lemons. Best bet is a large colony for long term health and appearance.

Thanx Brian. My plan is to get a group out of them. Can you advise me how long will it take them to grow from 2inch to 5inch with perfect diet and water condition. Want to know from peoples experience rather then just thinking should grow a inch a month if you know what I mean.
I'm buying this 8footer tank only cos of them otherwise don't need a big tank right at this Moment. Oh by the way took all the fish out if my 6foot to give red devil a chance to breed. Fingers cross they do it for me lol.

Growth rate is slow for these guys, which is another reason I recommend them being alone. They average around .5" per month, so a 5" male would be around a year old, females grow even slower than the males.

Good luck on the RD, I hope he doesn't kill her.

HUKIT said:
Growth rate is slow for these guys, which is another reason I recommend them being alone. They average around .5" per month, so a 5" male would be around a year old, females grow even slower than the males.

Good luck on the RD, I hope he doesn't kill her.

Given her enough hiding rooms. See what happens.

I use egg crate to divide the Jags with a hole cut only she can fit through, he's kicked the heck out of her twice now. Sometimes just a divider for a week or so prior to breeding works wonders, or I've had success keeping them seperated for a month prior works too. My Trimacs and Festae are already more aggressive them those 16" Jags, already lost two Festae and they're alone in a 180g and their only 3" and they're killing already.

Back
Top Bottom