Frontosa tank...what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wow it's been a while...I want to set my 55 gallon tank up again. This is what I want to do. I want to get a frontosa and about 4 clown loaches. I know they'll need a bigger tank someday, but I read up a little on their growth, and what I read stated that it takes them several years to reach maximum size. So, does anyone else know of any other fish I could put in there with him? The one I'll be getting will be approx. 3 inches long. (He's so cute).

Do you want to stay with Tanganikian cichlids. If so some Juli's of one kind or another and mabey a Tropheus. By the way do you plan on getting a bigger tank when its needed. 8)

I say go for it. :D The frontosa has always been a favorite of mine. I haven't kept them in years but when I did, I found they were extremely adaptable and hardy.

HTH

Frontosas have always been my favorite also! It does take a while for them to grow up so I thank you could get by for a while in a 55. I think the loaches will get to big first! My 3 Frontosa were bought by a close friend and and are close to 6 years old now! They still live in the same 180 gal tank they grew up in and hang out in the same caves I built for them a long time ago. Only 1 female still has fry but they have been a very good breeding group. Mine always preferred to have a very unpowered light on there tank during the day, too bright and they would sulk and hide. I think I had maybe 40 watts or something, but with that they would cruise all over and show off! I miss them, but I do visit them from time to time!

Good luck,
humpty

Yes. When the time comes I will get them a 150 gal or larger. I've grown so fond of my Oscar, he's getting a 75 gal next week. I have a question now about the hardness and the alkalinity of the water. I read that these guys prefer that. I really am not sure about how to go about doing that. Any help would be great. I read something about putting sea shells in the filter. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Oh i really like frontosas you will haev to buy another tank soon once u get them they get big. You could keep any of the larger Judilochrmoius from Lake Tangykinans in your frontosa tank and maybe a few shell dwllers it just depedns on what u like. You might could keep a larger Birchardi or Altolamprogrous calvus.

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom