Fully stocked or under stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 x OB Peacocks 2"
2 x Otopharynx Lithobates 1.5"
1 x Nimbochromis Venesuts 4-5"
1 x Nimbochromis Livingstonii 3"
1 x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Swallowtail 4-5"
1 x German Red Peacock 3.5"
1 x Aulonocara Nyassae 4"

Taking into consideration the maximum size of these fish and that my tank is 120 gallon (5 ft.) can I add more fish? Around how many?

Well I'm not too sure about some of those fish, I think you have room for another 2 or so in my opinion. i currently have 20 in my 6 foot 125g including 2 Venestus which i know will out grow anything else I have in there. lol

I also have the lithobates :-D. I don't see them around much.

But thats my opinion for what it's worth. I'm sure someone else will jump in with their thoughts.

With the fish I have, once they grow, and if they grow to their maximum size, that I exaggerated a bit just to be sure, it came out to 65 inches of fish in a 120 gallon.

The bacteria is pretty good at handling the bioload and the filtration is done by a wet/dry sump.

I know we cannot go for the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule because it depends on the type of fish, filtration, length of the tank, etc. etc. but it's still a good base to know where you stand.

I'm thinking about adding a blue dolphin, a Malawi eel (if I find one), a catfish from Malawi, and maybe some snails. Then in the future I probably add some plants that are compatible with cichlids such as Java Ferns, Vallisneria Spiralis or Anubias. My fish tank looks a little empty right now because I just have fish, sand and rocks, and my fish are all still under 5".

I know the empty feeling LOL. Most of my fish are just juveniles right now so it looks like they have SOO much room but I know it'll crowd up soon. :-D

The blue dolphins are really pretty, friends of mine just picked up a mated pair. :)

Yeah, it's almost boring, well, I don't have much time to sit down and just "look" at my fish, but I'm not so excited as I was and I don't have that eager to look at them all the time as when I just brought them. I guess this is normal and on top of that my light is broken and they had Ich, which I'm treating right now and I'm going to get a new light next week. I think it's going to be interesting again once I get the light, finish the Ich treatment, and prepare their diet (I bought different foods to add variety to their diet but I'm still giving them the original food that I've been feeding them until the Ich treatment is over), and then watch them grow.

I bought all my fish as babies and i still find myself sitting and staring at them during the day. LOL I have a sw cube about 6 inches from me and next to that is the 125g. So I can look at both tanks all day. I need a life hehe :-D

fddlss said:
2 x OB Peacocks 2"
2 x Otopharynx Lithobates 1.5"
1 x Nimbochromis Venesuts 4-5"
1 x Nimbochromis Livingstonii 3"
1 x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Swallowtail 4-5"
1 x German Red Peacock 3.5"
1 x Aulonocara Nyassae 4"

Taking into consideration the maximum size of these fish and that my tank is 120 gallon (5 ft.) can I add more fish? Around how many?

I reckon you have room for several more. I have a 100gal five foot tank with wet dry trickle and currently have 21 malawi in there. Including featherfin cat and three venustus. I still plan on 4-6 acei and that will do I think. My filter is doing a magnificent job and my water is perfect and soooo clear. I think you will be just fine to get more.

Goodluck

Hi Carey ;-)

Back
Top Bottom