FX 5 Filter Clogging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having loads of trouble with this filter. Seems to be clogged somewhere and I just keep cleaning it and changing the tubes. I finally removed it and the tank seems more stable. The fish were getting white foam like fungus and spots all over. I can't get the ammonia level down however over the last day prior to removing the filter ammonia level at 0. I've added salt and turned the heat up to 82 degrees. My fish look terrible. I've been changing the water everyday and some days twice a day. I don't know what else to do. Lost the third white cichlid a few days ago. I just can't seem to keep them. They are the first to go when I'm having issues.
The fish are just standing around and don't look like they normally do. They are usually swimming around and chasing each other.

Tank: 90 gal African cichlid from lake malawi

30-40 african's
1 parrot

3 sponge filters running, now running a bio wheel 400

Are you sure its clogged and that the pump is working properly? The pump could be damaged and not pumping water correctly. Is it pumping any water at all?

It seems after it was clogged a few months ago (it's been about six months since the inital clogging) it never worked again to recycle. It is always dirty and those sponges don't catch anything. Seems like it just sprays the waste back into the water. My daily ammonia readings are 4.0! I change the water everyday and clean the unit every few days. I've tried the filter pads but they get so dirty in under a week I have to change them. The unit is so heavy and hard to open. It's just a waste of money :( Not user friendly at all. I checked my ammonia this morning and it was 0 since removing the unit. I have the bio wheel running and three sponge filters. My fingers are crossed.

I'm surprised by your post since I'm currently running 5 FX5's for a few years now with zero issues, a couple of questions:

1. Does the pump turn on?
2. If so have you removed and cleaned the impeller?
3. What type of media and filter pads are you using?

Removing the motor is very easy with just 4 screws gains access to the impeller.

I have every down tube cut to reduce microbubbles, running Biomax in every tray, and Fluval medium pad on the bottom tray. This set up is in every tank with some very heavy bioloads, each is cleaned every 2-3 weeks and I've never had any reduction in flow.

If its throwing waste back in the tank it's either the hoses were not cleaned properly or the intake and/or the power head are really dirty.

Get a one of those bristled brushes and clean all the way inside maybe that'll help.

Hoses were changed after it got clogged six months ago and entire unit (except impeller) was cleaned completely. It seems once I opened to clean it didn't work the same to recycle because I have 4.0 ammonia readings everyday. But something isn't working. No way with the way I clean the tank should I have so much ammonia. I suction the gravel and do daily 10-50% water change when there's ammonia but now I am not working fast enough since fish look sick (white foam on them) like there is ICH or Fungus. I've added salt and removed the FX5. I don't even have half the stock as before and I have more ammonia.

The pump is on yes.

I use the stock media that came in the box but now have added additional cycled media, bio balls, ammonia remover, filter cleaning pads, (white and blue). I think it's completely loaded now with more media that's cycled but the fish look like their dying. Meaning they are getting white and have a pasty white foam on them and just sitting around.

Since removing the FX5 the fish are looking better.

I will try to find someone who knows how to test the unit then I may have to just toss it. Thanks for the suggestions. I will clean the hoses, etc..and see if I can get in the motor. Something just doesn't seem right.

Tank has been running for a little over a year now. I got the FX5 in July and it worked until it got clogged with waste. I changed the tubing in Dec but now it doesn't cycle. I've been running a tank for almost two years. I still have many of the original fish. Started with a 29 gal, 55 gal, then the 90 gal. This tank should be cycled. I change the water, clean the gravel and take care of it. I probably feed too much but I've slowed down. Filter if off and the test reads 0 for the second day. I don't get it.

Im with you on the FX5 troubles. I have had my FX5 for a month and a half and it stop pumping for some reason. I cleaned the impeller and checked all the tubes multiple times but the **** thing just won't suck water in for some reason. I'm very unsatisfied at the moment. I have a 180gal Malawi Cichlid Tank.

Rashad I think a feature of the model is that it stops to allow the air to come out. Since removing the unit I have had 0 ammonia. If the impeller gets clogged it's too big of a unit to keep unplugging to clean. It's a huge clumpsy not so user friendly model. I regret getting it.

limojica said:
I'm having loads of trouble with this filter. Seems to be clogged somewhere and I just keep cleaning it and changing the tubes. I finally removed it and the tank seems more stable. The fish were getting white foam like fungus and spots all over. I can't get the ammonia level down however over the last day prior to removing the filter ammonia level at 0. I've added salt and turned the heat up to 82 degrees. My fish look terrible. I've been changing the water everyday and some days twice a day. I don't know what else to do. Lost the third white cichlid a few days ago. I just can't seem to keep them. They are the first to go when I'm having issues.
The fish are just standing around and don't look like they normally do. They are usually swimming around and chasing each other.

30-40 african's
1 parrot

I have the fluval 305 and 205 running in my 46 gallon tank. Every two months I have to remove the fluval hoses and clean them. If I don't clean them every time I do a wc they will spit up waste back into the tank. So cleaning them is must.

30-40 african's
1 parrot

You don't have a friend you can give your fish to until your tank is back in proper conditions? This seems like a tragedy waiting to happen...If things are getting worse, don't hesitate. Feed your fish very sparingly or not at all on some days. I hate battling ammonia spikes, it's so frustrating and ruins my mood >.< Good luck.

I read reviews on the Eheim and it seems to be a better unit. I purchased one and will install this weekend. The BioWheel doesn't seem to be enough. Ammonia level is present but not at 4.0 as when the FX5 was running. I read reviews about the impeller and people have cleaned them and couldn't get the unit to start back up. This just doesn't seem worth it anymore. The unit is too big (like a garbage can) and the sponges are never clogged indicated they aren't catching anything. At this point I am so disgusted I will ask a friend if he wants it, if not it's free to anyone living in the Bronx and will come by to get it. I'm done. I refuse to lose anymore fish over this unit.

Apoc24k I purchased new hoses and the tank was still loaded with ammonia.

Well after 6 months of issues of not cycling after the initial clogging I decided to remove the filter and get something else. I read it's not so easy to clean the impeller and I'm not good with mechanics. I got the Eheim Professional 3 (160 gal) and the 406 Fluval (just arrived yesterday). 406 Fluval is new and improved from the 405. What a difference! Even though I spent more money on two units it will be easier for me to clean two units separately than that huge FX5 which was a pain to undo each time I wanted to open it. The hose connections do not just snap off. Hopefully the tank will cycle soon. I'm so sick of changing water daily and sometimes twice a day. Poor fish :(

limojica said:
Well after 6 months of issues of not cycling after the initial clogging I decided to remove the filter and get something else. I read it's not so easy to clean the impeller and I'm not good with mechanics. I got the Eheim Professional 3 (160 gal) and the 406 Fluval (just arrived yesterday). 406 Fluval is new and improved from the 405. What a difference! Even though I spent more money on two units it will be easier for me to clean two units separately than that huge FX5 which was a pain to undo each time I wanted to open it. The hose connections do not just snap off. Hopefully the tank will cycle soon. I'm so sick of changing water daily and sometimes twice a day. Poor fish :(

I sent mine back and got another FX5 and it did not work either. Kinda of strange.

I lost a few fish :nono:. Once I removed the unit the fungus conditions went away. A friend said the unit probably wasn't functioning properly or was defective.

Back
Top Bottom