German blue ram/ swordtail/ krib 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so first off I got three cichlids labled "ram" Saturday and despite all of my resaerch efforts I cannot get sound evidence that this trio is German blue, whic hI suspect. In all the pictures they seem to have more orange and yellow than my blue ones. So, if anyone can clarify tha twould be great.
Secondly, in my 55 gallon I have 3 GBRs:confused:, 2 male and 6 female and three juvenile swordtails, twelve kribensis juveniles, 2 juveniles from a younger batch, and in a 40 gallon I have 1 male and 6 female mosquitofish. I want to breed 1 pair of kribs and 1 pair of rams in the 55 but also do not want to lose my swordtails. If I keep them, I want t breed them too. I cannot find a way to effectively feed the fragile rams without the swordtails becoming obeise, and the mosquitos will nip anything in their aquraium. My question is:
How can I breed all three successfully in my amount of space? If its impossible, which would be the more efficient breeding party? (which should I remove and who should bunk with who while producing the most fry?)
I know its a mouthful, but:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_20120307_202901.jpg
    IMG_20120307_202901.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20120307_202828.jpg
    IMG_20120307_202828.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20120306_211216.jpg
    IMG_20120306_211216.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 213
First off I'd like to say nice tank setup,
From that picture of your ram it almost looks like a GBR EBR cross. How long have you had that fish? Is it settled? As for breeding they may spawn but I think the likelihood of any fry surviving is low if you have all in. Rams after the first couple of attempts tend to be great parents to I'd recommend breeding them however the conditions they need are quite specific

I've had the three rams since Sunday and for some odd reason they aren't showing the pickiness of new rams that I've heard so much about. There is one fish that is dominant over the other two because he is barely larger (I can't tell the genders apart) and he seems to go where he pleases searching for food. The other two just forage together side by side but tend to stay out of his way. I think this means they're a pair but again I can tell if their male and female. But the Ebr Gbr mix sugg. helps research a ton. :thank you:
What can I do to lower the fry mortality rate? And I have an idea involving switching the aggressive one for a diff one on Saturday and adding a male and two female kribs and 1:4 bpts and 8 rummynose or cardinal tetras and removing the swords and krib fry. Thoughts?

I'm not the one to ask when it comes to SA/CA Cichlids but really nice tank. Are those all live plants?

You can remove the fry and raise them separately. This way nothing can prey on them and u can ensure a full healthy diet.

If you cant, then good hiding areas will work ( moss, floating plant mats like Riccia)

Thanks but I'd prefer to keep the parental instinct strong in the fish to keep the aquarium as natural as possible. And some of the plants are live. And i've decided to remove all swordtails altogether. Just the pair plus a third just in case of gbrs, a trio 1:3 of kribs, 1:4 of bps and 8 cardinals. Good or bad? And if it comes down to it I'd probably remove a few fry just for the survival but leave enough for the parental instinct to remain. And any space for cories?

Corys are a nightmare for eating eggs just to warn you. Be careful when trying to remove some fry as if you stress out the parents too much they will just eat the remaining fry. Personally i believe if your not going to remove them to a breeding tank then just leave them to it. Plenty I hiding spaces and the fry will be able to survive.

Thanks to you all. And I went to the pet store yesterday and it turns out that they are wild rams. I put them in their own holding temporary tank and took all the others back. I got 5 cories, 3 cardinals and 2 rummynoses (3 but 1 died), and a mated pair of kribs. I plan on re-adding the rams along with a few more of each tetra, and some black phantoms (1:4), for a grand total of 17 tetras... 27 fish total... two breeding pairs of cichlids... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom