German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chipchop

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added some fantastic german blue rams. These are by far the most interesting fish in my tank - very pleased.

My question is regarding diet - is there anything particular that these guys like? I cant find anything listed in my books and the sites tend to be very general. So far they are not very interested in flake but seemed to like the live worms.

I cant keep them alive either... they die within a week or two... just wait and see

I feed mine flakes, small pellet food, freeze-dried and frozen blood worms. They come right to the top to eat. the do enjoy prowling the bottom looking for bits of food. I think good stock is a key to keeping rams. Mine came from breeder and have been in my tank well over a year. They like warm water 82F or so.

When I had them their favorite was the NLS pellets. They wouldn't hardly touch anything else other than bloodworms, but gobbled up the NLS stuff.

thanks. they seem to be taking to the bloodworms pretty well. So far so good. Hopefully they make it. really think they are fantastic.

Hey, oover the past weekend I added a pair as well, but hey laid eggs on one of my ornaments and I don't know what to do!! I separated them from the other fish with their eggs, was this the best thing to do?

Very cool - that has not happened to me yet - but I would love it. Let me know what happens - I am very interested.

if they are imported from Singapore they are having problems with their stock at the moment, i got these two from europe.

img_857621_0_ce00c7c35d0cf4411aa89db75175287e.jpg

poor breeding strains I believe. That coupled with super sensitivity to water parameters. Kind of like otos, imo. I was lucky enough to have a three pairs of GBRs breeding a few years back in college. I never got past the fry stage because they were in a community tank and the spawns were always a surprise. I am hoping to build up a breeding tank for them again this year. But, I haven't had a tank setup yet and I don't know what the normal water is like in my new location. Budget still plays a huge roll in my fish decisions.

Of course, I read somewhere that the water in my area will taste like chlorine because they are doing something weird. Great. Not only bad for the fish, but I don't want to drink t either! :rolleyes:

Ive seen that before and always thought it was a great review JChillin.

So what is it? Why do so many have such a hard time keeping them? Are they just super shy?

Thanks, I kinda like it too.:cool:

Rubysoho explains part of the problem and water parameters do play a significant role. Over breeding is more to blame however.

Over breeding has diluted the gene pool and it is commonly suggested that some breeders introduce hormones to force maturity thus resulting in faster breeding cycles.

One of the best ways to get your hands on some decent specimens is to get them direct from an aquatic breeder, not from the farms which is where most GBR's come from. I have also suggested that if the LFS is your only option, check out the stock tank for a bit. Look for the ones that are not hiding in corners and if they are schooling, get the one(s) at the front of the pile.

Rubysoho explains part of the problem and water parameters do play a significant role. Over breeding is more to blame however.

thank for clarifying, poor breeding strains come from over breeding, which I guess was the full thought behind what I said. ;)

I've had an itch for years to try and create some well bred GBRs. Just haven't had the $$. Maybe in another year...

My pair seems to be doing very well. Eating shrimp, bloodworms and flake. I will post some photos. I like them so much I was thinking of adding some gold rams to my second tank.

Back
Top Bottom