Gold ram - male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked this little one up the other week. He was the dominant one in the tank at the store, but paled after I brought him home to my community tank. I have a female GBR that's been in the tank for months and she chased him away whenever he went near her.

Recently I got an ich outbreak...so up the temperature went. And with it, his color came back, partly at least! I even saw him(?) chasing my female earlier today. And he finally posed for a phone quality picture.

From what I've read online, I think it's a male, but can I get some confirmation?

And a bonus (again, iffy quality) pic of my female defending a shrimp pellet from the insatiable guppies.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 66
  • gbr3.jpg
    gbr3.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 55
Nice looking ram! What was the.temp set at before you turned it up? I'd guess it's a male..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I was never really interested in golds until I saw him..didn't realize how bright they could be!

The temp before was 79*F. I wasn't sure if his lack of color was due to stress, or no longer being the dominant ram (my female can be a playground bully) or what...I first noticed he was bright again when I went to turn it from 84 to 85. It could have happened at a temp before that and I wasn't paying attention.

Probably a combo of new rank stress and the fact they do prefer a higher temp, even 80.5 will make a difference..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Someone on another site says female because the end of the dorsal fin is round and there might be some pink shading in the belly.

I was basing my male guess on the length of the ventral and anal fins and the elongated 2nd and 3rd dorsal ray.

I can't tell if the slight pinkness is due to my light or not! I'll try to get another picture.

Back
Top Bottom