How many days w/out food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 corys and 2 chiclids (2 weeks new aquarium)
Was advised to treat water with live bacteria , do 30% water change and not feed fish for three days to lower Ammonia level (7.0) ... pls see my other forum with the entire story. Thank you.

You should feed every 2 or 3 days (provided the fish are not fry). I don't know what your story is, but I sure hope your ammonia level is not 7.0. Please tell me you are referring to your pH.

The Live Bacteria benefits are debateable, but you absolutely want to keep that ammonia level lower while you cycle. Definintely not higher than .05 ppm.

Ty for prompt response.
You are right I was off on my Ammonia, it is 4.0 according to the person at the fish store (used colored liquid little botles, four of them).
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 4.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Do a 50% water change immediately. That level of ammonia is toxic to your fish.

Your fish are in a toxic environment. You should be doing water changes every day, 50%.

How large is this tank?

It is 10 gal.
I have 3 Green Corys
The Chiclids are 1 Bolivian Ram and 1 German Blu Ram (when I researched about all 4 fish, my understanding was that they should be fine in a 10 gal tank)
Also, I am planning to get a 75 gal tank in a few mos. Started with smaller tank to learn about fish care first :) Last time I had fish was about 18 yrs ago when technology was pretty behind, and I only had a fee hardy fish.

I am using live bacteria Nutrafin Cycle to control Ammonia spike, as advised by store rep. What do you think?

I would like to hear about that nutrafin cycle thing, and what everyone thinks about it...ive been doing about a 15% water change and vac everyday lately....had my tank for a week and a few days....2 weeks this friday,,,not cycled and have 10 fish in it...they seem fine, its hard to not feed them daily but im trying, the wife says she feels bad and has to feed them lol.

I don't believe in "bacteria in a bottle" however, from what I've read on this and other forums, Nutrafin Cycle does not contain the proper bacteria to safely and correctly cycle your tank. The only one I've heard works is Tetra Safe Start.

With a 10 Gallon tank, it should be easy to keep up with the water changes to keep the Ammonia level down. Do a 75% water change everyday if you have to, just be careful to keep the temperature the same with the new water. Also, remember the declorinator if you don't have a well, or you'll never get it cycled. It takes time though. it took me 2+ months to fully cycle and you have to be very vigilant during that period and monitor every day. The good news is after the two months, maintenance is minimal.

Overfeeding is extremely common, but you need to have discipline in that area, or you'll have a host of other problems over time. Assure her the fish are not as hungry as they look and can comfortably go days without feeding. Especially with such a small tank, overfeeding will kill your fish before underfeeding.

I agree with Lynda and the other posts. The main concern is to get the ammonia level down as low as possible, even if it takes really large water changes. Don't trust any bacteria supplement to just 'take care of it', even the ones that do work still need a level of care and a watchful eye over the tank to make sure the parameters don't get out of whack in the time being.

I am thinking to take my 4 fish (2 chiclids & 2 corys) back until I bring the water to proper Ammonia level.
If that's a good think to do should I do a total water change and start fresh or 75% water change? I could clean gravel and fake plants too. I might have overfed them because I can see some waste food thru the gravel and plants. Pls let me know. Ty

Back
Top Bottom