I got frontosas!!! Woohoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christerrell2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
well, i finally decided what i wanted in the 30 gal cube for the time being... I couldnt resist buying them. I have tahitian moon sand with some black gravel (looks like mars surface) in there with a couple large plants with those tangled in the PetsMart (they are cool) resin tree roots that are gray.
So i got 3 frontosas for now, 2 of them being $12 (smaller ones) and a larger one (i would say a inch and half) for $21.. I gotta wait tell i go to amazonia or wait for austin aquariums to get them in for 3 more. ill post pics tommorow with the digi, but here is a picture that is just like them.

http://www.ciclidos.com.mx/index/peces/frontosa2.jpg

So, does anyone any helpfull advice. I have a 55gal SA tank for a year.
But im new to this region.

Frontosas get big and will need more space later, but I am sure you know that, they also have problems with 'floating'.

They are not evolved to ever feed from the surface, so they can't deal with any air they may swallow, they start to float, literally. Make sure you feed sinking food. :D

Good luck, they are beautiful fish!

I like the speckled fish! The blue one is eye candy too! Don't know Jack Dempsy about em! Heh!
I can agree those resin roots rock! My fish adore them and I have not seen them in smaller shops. And they look so cool in the water!

It seems that one of the 3 have 7 stipes rather than 6 and it kinda bugs me... but he looks just like all of em.. just 7 damnit...

There are lots of different frontosa morphs. here is a bunch of frontosa articles and a cool map showing where the different morphs are from.

Back
Top Bottom