I think my oscar's trying to tell me something...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Oscar, Grumpo McHumbleberry, keeps sucking up gravel, and spitting it at the front glass of his aquarium. It make this tap noise that I can hear from the other room. I think he's trying to get my attention.

Anyone else got eerily smart fish?

Oscars are INCREDIBLE fish.

Intelligent and full of emotion, and cute to boot :D

Unfortunately, all the fish I have are rather on the dim side. My Bala Shark gets spooked by his own reflection and goes on a spastic rampage.

So yes, very dim fish on my part.

Oscars are very smart. I read somewhere about this same thing. Hes piling the gravel in front of the glass because he doesn't want you to look at him. Hes hiding. :?

Oscars are nicknamed "water dogs" because they interact with their owners like a puppy would. They can sulk, be moody, show affection, and generally acknowledge your presence. Probably one of the smartest FW fish. I wish I had a tank big enough for one.

My smartest fish are my jewel cichlids. Whenever I'm in the room, they bump against the tank lid to get my attention. All I have to do is shake the fish food can, and they go nuts at the surface. They also stare at me while I'm watching TV.

It's so weird to hear the tapping of rocks against the glass! My Africans do it, but they are just excavating.

I have a 9in Oscar that will only take food pellets, one at a time. He lets me know when hes hungary by coming to the glass and shaking his head back and forth...the hungrier he is the more anamatied he is. I have to feed them to him individulaly,he will not eat them if i toss them in the tank and just let them float. And once hes had his fill he will swim off back to another part of the tank...feeding him take 10-20min each time.he also piles the gravel in the corners and he was constantly moving the plants around untill I suction cupped them to the bottom. And when he sseed his reflection he attacks...he changes color and flares his gills and does this shuddering thing...then he rams the glass. i have to make sure the lights are on in a certain way in my room so he doesn't see his reflect and be agitated constantly.

Now I remember why I used to like Oscars.
Sadly, I have no place for them now. In terms of odd noises, I can often hear my raphael cats and skunk botia clicking their way around the aquarium. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom