Id these fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtwin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you ID these fish and tell me their sex if you can? Theirs 3 or 4 fish total in the photos. Thankd

Attachments

• image-997313931.jpg
    image-997313931.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3972800783.jpg
    image-3972800783.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1836542413.jpg
    image-1836542413.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-4077243861.jpg
    image-4077243861.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 90
All yellow fish with black stripe on dorsal finm.. Yellow lab. The yellow fish with black horizontal stripes is an auratus. The ble one with vertical stripes is a kenyi, and the blue with yellow fins is an acei.

Lol, thanks, can these fish live together? Or do I need to separate them? Thanks again

Where did you get them? Was it petsmart by any chance?

Eh. Its hit or miss. Auratus, I've heard, can be jerks. As far as the rest go... I've heard its better to keep them in a ratio of like one male to three females.

I work there... We dont purposefully get in peacocks, but it does happen, particularly in the "assorted african cichlid" tank. It does look like a peacock, now that Garfy mentioned it.

It's a 29 gallon :/ so far they are doing great, it's seems like the Acie isn't getting along with the peacock, the peacock seems to be the dominate in the tank, the Acie was removed from the tank because he seemed to be beaten. The peacock so far has gotten along with the Yellow and the Auratus. Surprisingly... The Auratus doesn't seem interested in harming any of the other fish. The Peacock is the one that can't get along with the Acie, and the Yellow is fine with everyone so far, so far it's just the 3 fish in the tank, the Yellow, Auratus, and Peacock. The peacock is the most dominate. Is he a male? Thanks for helping too :)

Jtwin64 said:
It's a 29 gallon :/ so far they are doing great, it's seems like the Acie isn't getting along with the peacock, the peacock seems to be the dominate in the tank, the Acie was removed from the tank because he seemed to be beaten. The peacock so far has gotten along with the Yellow and the Auratus. Surprisingly... The Auratus doesn't seem interested in harming any of the other fish. The Peacock is the one that can't get along with the Acie, and the Yellow is fine with everyone so far, so far it's just the 3 fish in the tank, the Yellow, Auratus, and Peacock. The peacock is the most dominate. Is he a male? Thanks for helping too :)

The tides would likely turn in the future, as they mature. The Acei will outgrow the Peacocks and could potentially start becoming aggressive with them. It will at least not put up with being bullied by the Peacock. More likely, though, is that that Auratus will terrorize both of the others when it comes of age.

Yellow Labs are probably the most peaceful of the Mbunas, and IMO would probably coexist with the Peacock and/or the Acei just fine. Yellow Labs can get 5" though, so that still seems tight for a 29 gallon.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Peacocks could not coexist with the Aceis, but I defer to folks who have had experiences trying to get both to coexist. At least Garfy recommends not mixing Mbuna (Lab and Acei, in your case) with Peacocks.

There are varying opinions on how much tank Aceis need. Some say 4' horizontal, some say 6' horizontal. As well, be advised that, if there are multiple Aceis, some say Aceis need to have multiple females/male, or the males could harass the females to stress them to death. I was once advised a 6:1 ratio was recommended.

So I guess here are my recommended options:
A. Trade them all back in and get Cichlids that can be kept in a smaller tank (search the posts here, you will find some recommendations).
B. Get a bigger tank (4' 55 gallon at least), rehome the lab, the acei, and the peacock (you could still be taking somewhat of a risk, see above), and trade back in or get a third tank for the Auratus. Then you can still get the appropriate Cichlids, etc for your 29. You could add more fish to all of your tanks with this option.
C. Keep them all in this tank and roll the dice. Be warned: aggression often comes on suddenly. It may be too late by the time you find out.

Labenator65000 said:
The tides would likely turn in the future, as they mature. The Acei will outgrow the Peacocks and could potentially start becoming aggressive with them. It will at least not put up with being bullied by the Peacock. More likely, though, is that that Auratus will terrorize both of the others when it comes of age.

Yellow Labs are probably the most peaceful of the Mbunas, and IMO would probably coexist with the Peacock and/or the Acei just fine. Yellow Labs can get 5" though, so that still seems tight for a 29 gallon.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Peacocks could not coexist with the Aceis, but I defer to folks who have had experiences trying to get both to coexist. At least Garfy recommends not mixing Mbuna (Lab and Acei, in your case) with Peacocks.

There are varying opinions on how much tank Aceis need. Some say 4' horizontal, some say 6' horizontal. As well, be advised that, if there are multiple Aceis, some say Aceis need to have multiple females/male, or the males could harass the females to stress them to death. I was once advised a 6:1 ratio was recommended.

So I guess here are my recommended options:
A. Trade them all back in and get Cichlids that can be kept in a smaller tank (search the posts here, you will find some recommendations).
B. Get a bigger tank (4' 55 gallon at least), rehome the lab, the acei, and the peacock (you could still be taking somewhat of a risk, see above), and trade back in or get a third tank for the Auratus. Then you can still get the appropriate Cichlids, etc for your 29. You could add more fish to all of your tanks with this option.
C. Keep them all in this tank and roll the dice. Be warned: aggression often comes on suddenly. It may be too late by the time you find out.

Thanks, so in your opinion, I have no options to upgrade the tank size. What type of Cichlids should I replace my old ones with, I want to have the most color and I want to have many different species of cichlids only. Thanks again for your advice. It seems you are very knowledge in cichlids. Thanks,

Here is a quote from another thread where it was asked what could go in a 30 gallon.

Fishie said:
You could do dwarf cichlids and GBRs. Bolivian ram also maybe even egyptian mouth brooders. Some even apistos.

Labenator65000 said:
Here is a quote from another thread where it was asked what could go in a 30 gallon.

Here's another one

Fishie said:
He could do dwarf cichlids some are colorful. African tanks need to be at least 55G or near it. Just because of the aggression and other things like growth. Could have some GBR or Bolivian ram. All cool fish.

EDIT: I guess that was a dup.

Back
Top Bottom