Jack dempsey sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I have a few jack dempseys in a 75g tank that for the last yer have been doing great. I recently moved to a different state and lost some of their tank mates during the trip, and now they jacks don't seem to get along very well. There are three of the them in the tank, one of which is about 7" and the other two are 4-5". The only thing I can think of that can be wrong is maybe I have two males and one female. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• image-1508523510.jpg
    image-1508523510.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-4008281305.jpg
    image-4008281305.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3383776794.jpg
    image-3383776794.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 83
Here is a little better picture of the big one

Attachments

• image-4032468107.jpg
    image-4032468107.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 83
The only thing I can think of that can be wrong is maybe I have two males and one female. Any help would be great.

Welcome to AA!

I agree with the two males and one female, are either males fighting or pressuring the female to spawn? Long term due to aggression and deteriorating water parameters this stock list won't work well, I'd recommend rehoming one male and adding a school of dither fish such as Hyphessobrycon anisitsi as this will help draw attention away from the female.

I was thinking exactly that. My only problem is that I don't know which ones are male n female. I have a 45g corner tank was going to stick the other male in. All I can do right now is take the one that is getting picked on the most out and hope he is a male

Pictures one and two are male, pictures three and four is the female. Which ones are the ones fighting, the males? Sexing is easy, females have a beard so to speak of spangling where as the males have little to no spangles on the chin plate.

Last edited:
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. It's the two males, and one of them is always shimmering at the female so I figured that was it. Thanks for the help with that, I have been going back and forth about witch ones were male for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom