Jack Dempsey suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell_spyder143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Jus got a jack, about an 2" long today for my south american tank (two tiger oscars, a pacu, and now my jack) and already I'm loving the little guy. Anywho aside from the basic info on keeping them healthy, are there anything other tips anyone can give me? Like how to deal with him if he becomes a little over aggressive, seems depressed even if water quality is fine, or jus anything really. I know alot depends on the fish.

image-1898378973.jpg

image-1827271450.jpg

image-1581132058.jpg

btomlin411 said:
What size of tank do you have?

I have them in a 55, when i move next year I'll get another. I know all three cichlids will be too big for one 55. But the pacu has gotta go, he's a real [moderator edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
cell_spyder143 said:
I have them in a 55, when i move next year I'll get another. I know all three cichlids will be too big for one 55. But the pacu has gotta go, he's a real [moderator edit].

Watch your language in your post. The mods will get you for sure. It is a family friendly site and many members are of the younger crowd. Just a heads up. They got me a few weeks back for a borderline word.

On to your topic.......jacks are pretty easy to care for IME. The Oscar will outgrow the tank so have a plan ready for him. 75-125 would be ideal. Depending on your jacks temperament he may be able to coexist with the Oscar for the short term. If he is a bully or your Oscar is a fighter one of them maybe toast. I have my breeder pair of jacks in a 55 alone with no tank mates. They simply won't allow any. They killed a pleco a while back for no apparent reason. The pleco wasn't the best choice to start with since their bioload is so great.

Don't be surprised if you rarely see your jack. They sometimes take a while to get adjusted to not only the tank but to you also. I've found the younger they are the more in the open they will be. They are relatively hardy and can withstand various different water parameters but I have found that they strive in a ph of 7.6-8.0. Ammonia and nitrites should always be at 0 and nitrates should be under 40 to help prevent hole in the head and lateral line erosion.

They are awesome fish and have tons of personality but give them time to come around if they seem shy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They give fractions lol like catholic school nuns use to do. Jacks are my favorite fish. I have a 4in female jack that is full of personality. She seems to really like crickets and always watches me play call of duty lol

Back
Top Bottom