krib people~question about her coloring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you think it's a yellow krib or are these normal color changes for a female krib in spawning mode? I just noticed that over the past week, my 3 females have really came into some serious color. They are all gold with almost purple plump bellies now. I couldn't tell them apart from the males when I bought them 2 weeks ago. I was just wondering because of all the gold they have in them now. Thanks!

Attachments

• picture_094_213.jpg
    picture_094_213.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 34
female cribs ususally get brighter colors, the biggest difference you should be seeing is the red or purplish color on her belly getting a whole lot brighter. if they are spawning, be sure to be on the lookout for beat up fish as these guys can get nasty when breeding

Looks like my kribs. I never learned anything about the different colored ones; I just know that they never look great at the LFS.

The range of colors that a female krib can display are impressive. There is a slightly different color pattern for just about every behavioral situation. Here is a wild female guarding fry:
pul_wild_F_fry1_0_July31_004.jpg

Here is the same female when a predator (a small bicher) has been added to the territory. She gets quite a bit darker overall, and the irridescence is less pronounced in teh presence of the predator.

pul_wild_F_fry1_pred_july3_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom