Lets see all your large South Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 8" male jag... Starting to wonder if he is a she since it seems like he's been in the 7-8" range for 3 months now, but still hoping he'll get some size to him. Has a 125 all to himself so he's got the room... if only I weren't too scared to try venting him.

ForumRunner_20131110_011027.jpg

ForumRunner_20131110_011044.jpg

Everyone realizes the thread title is "Let's See All Your Large South Americans" not your Central's, which most people here will happily point out repeatedly in dozens of other threads so please don't be hypocritical and follow the rules.

Everyone realizes the thread title is "Let's See All Your Large South Americans" not your Central's, which most people here will happily point out repeatedly in dozens of other threads so please don't be hypocritical and follow the rules.

Go back and read OP's 3rd post...

Those Jags are stunning! What size do they max out at?

That's actually the same jag... it's the 1st one I've ever owned, got him when he was only about 1". researching them quite a bit, it looks like males average around 16" full grown with around 20" max and females stay between 12-14"

Nice I really want one in the future I guess I better get the 150 gallon tank first though.

I only have the smaller American cichlids ;/ I'll post pics anyway as i'm so proud of them...
I'm not sure if someone asked you this already but what type of cichlids are those? They're beautiful!

I'm not sure if someone asked you this already but what type of cichlids are those? They're beautiful!

Thank you very much for the kind words. I love my fish.

The fish I have are very commonly found, its just that I got females which have a lot better colour. Especially with the Convict cichlid. I had to hunt them down from fish store to fish store.
Most people think convicts are plain black and white, and forget that females have beautiful colours on fins and nice red bellies.

The yellow fish is a female Salvini cichlid. The other is female Convict cichlid.

Male Convicts are very bland, so make sure you choose females for more colour (look for red bellies)
Females also grow smaller than males...

Sealife and Oscar98 sealed it for me. I have been thinking about getting a salvini then seeing their pics made me salivate (pun intended) even more. Then visited a new LFS and saw this guy and had to have him.

Most Salvini juvies I have seen are grey/brown black with a little yellow. This guy is all yellow with reds and blues and he is only 1". He was much more impressive in the tank. I will start a new thread when he gets adjusted to his new home. My JD and EBJD's have a little size on him so I hope that keeps him in his place as far aggressiveness goes.

Sealife and Oscar98 sealed it for me. I have been thinking about getting a salvini then seeing their pics made me salivate (pun intended) even more. Then visited a new LFS and saw this guy and had to have him. Most Salvini juvies I have seen are grey/brown black with a little yellow. This guy is all yellow with reds and blues and he is only 1". He was much more impressive in the tank. I will start a new thread when he gets adjusted to his new home. My JD and EBJD's have a little size on him so I hope that keeps him in his place as far aggressiveness goes. http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Rivers2k/media/Mobile Uploads/salvini2_zps5b476927.jpg.html http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Rivers2k/media/Mobile Uploads/Salvini_zpsc5f37729.jpg.html

Awesome!!!! Im trying to sell all my fish but thor, my umbee, and my grammode. I found two wild caught female festae for sale that i neeeeeeeeed

Can't wait to see them :D

There big too!! 6-7" and beautiful lol. As some of you know im only 15 ugh. So i cant drive. But i might be able to convince my dad to drive me to lancaster to meet up with the guy haha. And you can bet i will def have a thread for them if (aka when) i get them

There big too!! 6-7" and beautiful lol. As some of you know im only 15 ugh. So i cant drive. But i might be able to convince my dad to drive me to lancaster to meet up with the guy haha. And you can bet i will def have a thread for them if (aka when) i get them

Being 15 sucks for this hobby. Minimum wage doesn't get the real deal of much, and I can't even drive to get it when I have the money. I have spent $800 in the past 5 1/2 months. My bank account is teetering.

Here's my soon(ish) to be monster Rotkeil Severum! About 3 1/2" now. Love this guy.

Attachments

• image-3171225148.jpg
    image-3171225148.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2609560648.jpg
    image-2609560648.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 74
Being 15 sucks for this hobby. Minimum wage doesn't get the real deal of much, and I can't even drive to get it when I have the money. I have spent $800 in the past 5 1/2 months. My bank account is teetering.

Lets see how mich ive racked up.

$120 for complete 55g setup
$100 for 150g tank
Everything else ive put into the 150g $550
$300 in fish easily

Racks up fast. Have to convince my dad to drive 3 hours and 40 min away to pick up these festae. But i used the excuse "i havent had a bday party much less a bday cake for the past 2-3 years. This is all i want for my bday (jan 30)." Sooo i think i may have guilt tripped him into it XD.

Back
Top Bottom