Malawi bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jmedic25 said:
PWC and metro...Epsom salt also ...Get ready to loose a few fish...sux man im sorry

What he said. Also stop feeding the whole period of treatment imo. Frozen peas, blanched and squeezed out of it's little shell.

I have 1 bumble bee afflicted with bloat...have had em since he was a wee lil man....

Man sorry to hear about that! I dread the day I'm faced with this! It seems there's no sure fire way to protect against it! Again sorry bro...

I've already began treatment with metro+,hoping bumble bee will pull through...problem being as there are no daily dose recommendations on the label...does anyone have experience with the dosing rec. ?(on day 1)

If its the seachem product its 1-2 scoop for every 40 gallons...Its hard to overdose this product. I would also make a paste out of NLS Garlic, and a scoop of metro. If you post the mg per measure or the type of metro you bought I could help more. Also dont run carbon, UV, or chemical filtration during metro. It wont harm your bio filter. Raise the temp keep the lights off and tank dark as possible. Only use prime and increase oxygen levels. BARLEY FEED in the next few days. You want them hungry for the paste you make. Dose the water and the food. Good luck

So far I only have 1 fish showing the obvious signs of bloat...the bumble bee has been removed to a 10g hospital tank...also the metro+ is by aqaurium solutions..

tiger terror said:
So far I only have 1 fish showing the obvious signs of bloat...the bumble bee has been removed to a 10g hospital tank...

I've lost several now. They have all been individual cases about 2-3 weeks apart.

Gonna be honest,it shakes your confidence somewhat about taking care of these awesome fish...

I've lost several now. They have all been individual cases about 2-3 weeks apart.

This is a good reason why to treat the whole tank for a 5 days, twice a day at 5ppm.

If the individual case does not improve, you can treat it in a hospital tank for another 5 days.

mattrox said:
This is a good reason why to treat the whole tank for a 5 days, twice a day at 5ppm.

If the individual case does not improve, you can treat it in a hospital tank for another 5 days.

The afflicted fish is still in the hospital tank goin on day #5,bumble still swollen but was more active yesterday...also been treating with metro+&aquarium salt as needed..

So today noticed some greenish looking poop at the bottom of the tank,first sign of such in days...

Green is better than white stringy...Keep them perfect water and nice and warm...Loads of airstones and good luck!!

When they start to eat you san soak pellets in 3% epsom salts. This flushes out the intestines really well and helps clear the parasite.

mattrox said:
When they start to eat you san soak pellets in 3% epsom salts. This flushes out the intestines really well and helps clear the parasite.

Don't believe I have epsom salts,also could you elaborate a little more on the soaking of pellets in 3% epsom salts? In the dark on this one...

Epsom salts are at any grocery, or drug store. Its a granular form with magnesium in it. Works as a laxitive. It wont harm your tank and will actualy raise your GH. You need to read this.Malawi Bloat

ForumRunner_20111129_214942.jpg

Poor guy,not looking so good...at this point I'm gonna try&just make things comfortable for him:-(

Back
Top Bottom