Male blue acara died :cry:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a pair of Blue Acaras and they've been with me for 3 months and they did really well, grew and ate well, only lately she had become really agressive towards him and chased him around all over the place. Up until this morning he was great - eating well, not exibiting any symptoms of anything and this morning I find him dead!
This is really sad, my water params are great, and I do not know what the deal is. If anyone is familiar with these species I would appreciate the input. Also if anyone knows good South American cichlid forums please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Are you sure they were a male and female, might it have been 2 males?

Also some SA/CA cichlids will test each other as they bond, to see if the other one is 'worthy' to mate with. If one of the pair fails the test, the loser will be run off. With no where to run to in an aquarium, sometimes the loser is killed :(

here is the only SA/CA cichlid forum I am familiar with.

I am pretty sure, all descriptions matched - the extended lobe, the red-tipped fins, etc. I do not know what the deal is. I went to my LFS and he recommended I get more than a pair so I got 2 more males and 1 female so now I will have 2 males 2 females after these 3 go through a month in QT. We'll see.

Oh bummer cap'tG; I'm sorry :(

You may want to ask over at www.cichlid-forum.com . Nice buncha folks and knowledgeable, although they probably won't have an answer either; its hard to determine cause of death when theres no obvious cause...

Back
Top Bottom