Male or Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShoelessJoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a rust colored cichlid in my tank (most likely a Red Zebra/Electric Yellow Mbuna hybrid) which has recently become kind of, well, obese. I had assumed it was male, but now I am not so sure, and think that there may have been baby making activities going on. Can anyone ID? Here's the best picture I could get:

Rust Cichlid

Last edited:
What make you think it's a hybrid and not Iodotropheus sprengerae, the rusty cichlid? That's what I'm seeing.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oh! Well, that would be embarrassing. When I bought the fish (about a year ago now) I seem to recall the guy at the store saying they were hybrids...but then again the label on the tank said "Rusty Cichlids" so maybe you're right! Although the pictures I'm seeing on the Internet of Iodotropheus sprengerae seem to have a lot more blue. My fish has none. The image I posted is fairly color accurate.

That's alot of algae growth lol not that it's bad but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks to be male but I can't tell...

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ah well, too bad then. Just fat perhaps. Yeah, this tank had an algae hit over the summer, mostly cleaned up except that log thing. Problem is, it's big and home to another fish and a blue lobster that lives under it. Everyone is getting along really well right now and I don't want to disrupt the tank and destabilize the hierarchy (or I'm making excuses, you make the call)

Back
Top Bottom