My 125 South American set up!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mahoney709

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1 red oscar
1 black belt
1 redhead
1 flowerhorn
2 red tail tinfoil barbs
1 striped raphael catfish
1 marble walking cat fish
1 red tailed black shark

2 marineland c-360 canisters
1 fluval 80g hang on back

Removed territories a couple months ago, no aggression. Weekly waters changes upwards of 50%. All my fish are fed hikari carnivore sticks, nutrifin max sinking krill pellets, nutrifin max spirulina sticks, tetra jumbo carnivore sticks, and hikari frozen foods with the occasional live organic earthworm or leave of romain lettuce!

Attachments

• image-1416479288.jpg
    image-1416479288.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 178
  • image-323809884.jpg
    image-323809884.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 159
  • image-2554886209.jpg
    image-2554886209.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image-2152919856.jpg
    image-2152919856.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 149
  • image-4012077207.jpg
    image-4012077207.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 153
1 red oscar
1 black belt
1 redhead
1 flowerhorn
2 red tail tinfoil barbs
1 striped raphael catfish
1 marble walking cat fish
1 red tailed black shark

2 marineland c-360 canisters
1 fluval 80g hang on back

Removed territories a couple months ago, no aggression. Weekly waters changes upwards of 50%. All my fish are fed hikari carnivore sticks, nutrifin max sinking krill pellets, nutrifin max spirulina sticks, tetra jumbo carnivore sticks, and hikari frozen foods with the occasional live organic earthworm or leave of romain lettuce!

Tank looks good are you planning a monster tank soon

1 red oscar
1 black belt
1 redhead
1 flowerhorn

Removed territories a couple months ago, no aggression. Weekly waters changes upwards of 50%.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but that tank is heading towards nuclear meltdown. That's allot of mean fish in a small box. Also black belts and Paraneetroplus synspilus (redhead) are Central American, flowerhorns are hybrids. The only fish from South America is the Oscar.

You should also be doing two 50% water changes at minimum with that stock.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but that tank but that tank is heading towards nuclear meltdown. That's allot of mean fish in a small box. Also black belts are Central American, flowerhorns are hybrids and I have no idea what you mean by "red head"

Red head, aka vieja (or whatever genus now, paratheraps or whatever) synspilum

I sell them as they get bigger. But there hasnt been any aggression. No signs of stress. All the sa/ca are fairly big. They seem happy.

Its been set up for months as well with that stock. My water paramaters are check weekly and fine.

I sell them as they get bigger. But there hasnt been any aggression. No signs of stress. All the sa/ca are fairly big. They seem happy.

You've been given some solid advice it isn't fair to the fish to be constantly transfered around from one tank to another as they get bigger plus when it comes to the larger cichlids you shouldn't mix continents there are different requirements for each fish and aggression level for each one as well it may be looking OK now but it'll erupt in violence soon what are your levels like each time you've got major bio loads with these fish

Alright. Point taken. Its still not too late to seperate these guys into according homes. I kinda took it for granted if my water was fine, i fed them a variety of good food, kept up my water changes and invested money into good filtration and all my fish got along it was cool.

Im not disagreeing with you.

Out of those, what would you keep/get rid of?

I know lots of experienced fishkeepers who have been in the hobby a lot longer and are much more well rounded then myself, so finding good homes isnt a problem.

Opinions please?

I was thinking keep the flowerhorn and the Oscar? maybe the walking catfish as well?

Yeah, but I think the black belt and red head would be good. And with that kind of water change schedule, it should be ok.

Me and you think the same way too often lol

I was thinking keep the flowerhorn and the Oscar? maybe the walking catfish as well?

Flowerhorn a are hybrids...why keep a man made creation when nature has so much beauty?

Oscars are dime a dozen, everyone has had one, and are one of the most common cichlids.

Stick with the black belt and red head, trust us ;)

They have bred before apparently.

See, the 12" Oscar, 7" red head, and 6" black belt, were ALL in a 55 gallon tank for months at a lfs with another 10" Oscar and a midas...I bought them, thinking I was doing good. Had to heal the black belt because the midas literally had his organs hanging from his body, as well as treat the O I bought for HITH.

This tank has been set up about 4 months. I know its overboard, and I am currently trying to sell them but I want caring owners to take them. I just couldn't handle watching them all crammed in a 55.

Perfect, we're not trying to bash you or anything, just trying to keep ya on the right path ;) good job on saving them!

You could keep all the non-cichlids with the red head and black belt as long as you keep up on water changes, seeing as red heads get quite large obviously.

Oh, and you mean HLLE not HITH ;) HLLE is head and lateral line erosion, hole in the head is a parasitical condition in angelfish and discus

Decisions, decisions.

Flowerhorns are beautiful to me, and my flowerhorn and O have the most personality and get along the best, they totally avoid each other.

Ive also rescued a 8" male JD about 2 yrs ago, he had ick, no heater in his tank, and green fungus coming from his gills. He is extremely aggressive, and has been housed in a 45 bow, with weekly water changes and 2 50 gallon filters.

Whats your opinion.

I also bought a breeding pair of chocolate cichlids between 2-4" with a major fungus problem and were dying, they are currently in a 20 gallon hospital being treated. I know they get big, but are really small right now, im trying to get the white cloudy stuff off their face and eyes and heal up some open wounds. I have no idea where the came from, they were just left at the shop one day, so I said **** it, and took them.

Opinions...lol

I CAN and WILL find good owners, but I need some advice!

PREACH!

I always try to have fish you don't see everyday. Oscars you see at EVERY LFS and most lps. Flowerhorns (in my own opinion, and the opinion of several other new world keepers) don't have a spot in the hobby as they help to demolish natural species, like the Trimac for instance with the flowerhorn. I just prefer to keep a naturally occurring species than a hybrid

Heres jack... Mean guy

Attachments

• image-3702367989.jpg
    image-3702367989.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom