My cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty fish and set up, but yeah, you don't want your cons/SAs in with your peacocks and haps

Convicts, yellow lab, eureka peacock, melanchromis, living stone, geophagus, green terror, jewel, firemouth, blue lobster, fiddler crab and albino plec. All beautiful fish and seem to get on ok. Was warned may have issues but risked it anyway. Some amazing colours and really relaxing to watch.

Mixing african and south american cichs isnt recommended at all. They prefer far different water conditions.

I know that, thanks, hence why I have extra tanks ready to move across when older and require more specifics

I know that, thanks, hence why I have extra tanks ready to move across when older and require more specifics

once cycled I would suggest putting your SAs in another tank.. so many other issues than water.. diet and stress being the first ones coming to mind, and aggression It won't be long until your cons or bigger african take out one of your pretty fishies

“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
― James Baldwin

I hear all the time SA/CA's cant be mixed with african's but I see it done successfully all the time. I wonder if it one of those things that have been past around the net so much it becomes truth. People will say different water parameters but if you have 3 tanks getting water from the same source parameters are going to be close to the same.

Most fish we keep today don't come from waters in the US but we make it work with all of them.

― James Baldwin

I hear all the time SA/CA's cant be mixed with african's but I see it done successfully all the time. I wonder if it one of those things that have been past around the net so much it becomes truth. People will say different water parameters but if you have 3 tanks getting water from the same source parameters are going to be close to the same.

Most fish we keep today don't come from waters in the US but we make it work with all of them.

Ime aggression plays the biggest role. When those cons are breeding they will shred all of your Africans. Also their dietary requirements tend to differ. Lastly just because the water is coming from the same source doesn't mean its right for the fish in the tank. Best to keep them a world apart. There are more than one reason this advice is handed out so often.

― James Baldwin

Put a female red terror in a mbuna tank. Or a male dovii in an african tank. Or a red devil.

Put a female red terror in a mbuna tank. Or a male dovii in an african tank. Or a red devil.

That was an intelligent response how about we put a bass in with minnow.
or if you prefer Emperor cichlid (Boulengerochromis Microlepis (African)) with convict (new world) I didn't say ALL SA/CA and Africans work together, but some do.

Theres also central american cichlids there. Cons and i think firemouths are central. Geos and green terror are south american

You are correct but mostly new worlds are grouped together in this argument from what I have seen.

Ime aggression plays the biggest role. When those cons are breeding they will shred all of your Africans. Also their dietary requirements tend to differ. Lastly just because the water is coming from the same source doesn't mean its right for the fish in the tank. Best to keep them a world apart. There are more than one reason this advice is handed out so often.

That's the problem I hear the advice all the time but no reasoning behind it.

Aggression- Cons wont shred all Africans, and some Africans can shred some new world cichlids. Its just finding the right balance.

Dietary requirements - These vary in African cliched species yet they are kept together. haps and peacocks technically eat different in the wild but they are kept together. Real purists say different lakes shouldn't be kept together for that reason but it works.

Water coming out of our tap is different than the amazon or the African rift lakes but we keep these fish in our North American water all the time.

Don't get me wrong I am not upset or angry about this whole thing I just hate it when info gets passed along and nobody knows why. It just gets regurgitated so much that it becomes truth. I want to people to think before they pass on info.

You just answered why, you are using flawed logic. This is good advice because it happens more often than not. You are playing a game of this "might" happen if.... And are not putting any facts in. Obviously a breeding pair of cons will shred up some peacocks. But an emperor cichlid could kill a convict and my dad could beat up your dad is essentially what your saying.

You just answered why, you are using flawed logic. This is good advice because it happens more often than not. You are playing a game of this "might" happen if.... And are not putting any facts in. Obviously a breeding pair of cons will shred up some peacocks. But an emperor cichlid could kill a convict and my dad could beat up your dad is essentially what your saying.

The my dad beat up your dad was in response to the dovi or festea with a mbuna I was showing how ridiculous it is and how it could go the other way to. I am saying you can find extremes on either side but you could make it work with like temperament/size fish. So I am not using flawed logic it just didn't come accross as I intended.

And I didn't answer the questions if you look I refuted anything that was mentioned as a reason why.

Ok you want facts just for an example

Firemouth cichlid (new world)
PH 7.0 - 8.0, Temp 73-78, size 6", semi aggressive

Labido Chromis (african)
PH 7.5- 8-5, Temp 74-80, size 5", semi aggressive

Are you telling me this wouldn't work perimeters are nearly the same.

I am not seeing any facts at all from your side ever. I want to see facts on why like tempered like sized fish with similar water perimeters cant work just because they are from different part of the world.

Ok you want facts just for an example

Firemouth cichlid (new world)
PH 7.0 - 8.0, Temp 73-78, size 6", semi aggressive

Labido Chromis (african)
PH 7.5- 8-5, Temp 74-80, size 5", semi aggressive

Are you telling me this wouldn't work perimeters are nearly the same.

Dont get me wrong. I still agree they should not be mixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom