Need 45 gal African Cichlid stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmoothDaddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 45 gallon tank (36"x12"x24") that previously housed Tiger Barbs. It was running fine for almost 3 years. I changed out the gravel for Caribsea African Cichlid sand. I have rocks setup, all water parameters are fine. My local lfs has the following cichlids available: Bumblebee; Electric blue Johanni; Jewell; Acei; Kennyi; and Auratus. Any advice on what type(s) and how many to stock the tank with would be greatly appreciated.

Those varieties aren't too great, have you tried shopping online for a bigger variety of cichlids? What type of tank are you looking to setup (all male or one that has females)?

I'm not ready to let any fish breed - I want to wait until I get a 125 gallon + tank. So, all male or all female is how I'd go, though I don't have a preference for either (I don't know the pros/cons of having one over the other). Also, I've never purchased aquaria on-line before. Any suggested sites? Also, what types of fish would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom