Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gryph

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've fallen in love with the pictures of these. Does anyone have any experience with them?

These are cutie little shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyka. They are an African Cichlid.

Very simple to keep and breed, but would not recommend them in a community tank, unless it's a community tank of other small shell dwellers from the same lake.

An ideal tank set up would be with a thick sand substrate, plenty of shells, plants and (I personally like) lace rock. pH can be as high as 9.0. This is the natural pH level of the lake. Temp maintained at 78 degrees. Better to have a small group to form their own pairs. They will spawn directly in the shells. Give them plenty of territory for each pair. I'd say nothing less than two pairs per 5 gallons and that's the limit. One pair per five is more ideal. Diet should consist of African cichlid flake, veggie flake and brine shrimp. Great little fish!!...and hardy at that.

Shell dwellers are awsome little fish, and you can watch them for hours on end as they constantly re-arrange their little shell homes by moving gravel one stone at a time! i keep dwarf shell dwellers, with the cute bright blue eyes, check out my welcome wagon post. As these are smaller, i have a little colony all to themselves in a two foot tank and their doing fine! :D

These fish seem totally adorable. They'll be going into a 20 gallon (either normal or long, if I can find a light hood for the long that doesn't break my piggybank). I'm going to try to find some Altolamprologus "Compressiceps Shell" and some lamprologus similis, which are all little Tanganyikan shell dwellers to make a happy little community.

My water's natural pH is 7.4, so I'm going to have to bring it up some. I mean, I've got hard water and all, but I don't exactly have the Rift Lakes pouring out of my tap.

Most good aquarium stores stock coral sand. I used that for my tank and it raises the ph as well as fitting in way better than normal gravel does. You however should look out for salt buildup around your tank and filter, you need to remove the stuff like once a month.. not that its dangerous but it looks pretty crappy! Don't forget you'll need a large amount of shells, and each female (if the tank is big enough) will start their own territory around a shell/s and defend it wildly. :D good luck with it!

I have heard of trouble between shellies and comps/calvus over shells, so if you do put them together be sure you have plenty of shells.

dyrodium said:
Most good aquarium stores stock coral sand.

Yard Right brand or Southdown playbox sand.. (ignore the warning on the yard right bag.. aparently they sell the stuff in the pet shop as well..lol)

Back
Top Bottom