new 60G tank, help me build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cezza44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
60G tank.
6 days from full cycle
I am thinking I would like to get at least one oscar, but unsure if I should go American or African overal.
Do I need a powerhead?
Help me buuiilllldddd!!!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120814.JPG
    Snapshot_20120814.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 87
One Oscar will nearly max out the Bioload and they shouldn't be mixed with Africans. When stocking cichlids you need to stick with one continent and if you do choose Africans stick to one lake or river.

No, even though you have good filtration, space and aggression will be an issue if you have two. You could have one oscar in there and that would be pushing it a little.

EDIT: Just looked up your filter. You would need about double that to have an oscar. With oscars you want 10x an hour tank circulation, and with your filter you have a little under 5.

My tank is just slightly bigger than yours and would not do an Oscar in it due to the size they grow, I have seen them in 60g but singly, a good sized pair in a 60g really wouldn't be right. You could do so much more if you went for Sajicas, Keyhole, Rainbow, Salvini sized cichlids. I leave the Oscars to those lucky guys with monster tanks, a member on here Hukit is a wealth of knowledge on new world cichlids and I think he knows a lot about Oscars he might point you in the right direction with them or good sized cichlid stocking ideas.

What about a powerhead? The bubbles created by the filter are sitting against the tank and stones, but is it a good idea to create water flow anyway?

cezza44 said:
What about a powerhead? The bubbles created by the filter are sitting against the tank and stones, but is it a good idea to create water flow anyway?

Imo I would do a powerhead to help move some of the debris to the filter.

An Oscar might be pushing it for a 60 as stated before. As for ur filtration, 5x is fine. I've found that the turnover doesn't make a clean tank, its ur part of doing water changes that does. Having a small tank, its easy to get 10x turnover, as u get into larger tanks that number gets lower. I feel that number is outdated due to technology and filtration capacities. Some people don't use filters at all and their tanks are just fine. Let the size of the Oscar change ur mind and not necessarily ur filtration.

Back
Top Bottom