New bolivian ram, acting funny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never had a cichlid before so I don't know what is normal but I bought a Bolivian ram today and just put him in my tank about 30 mins ago and so far he swam to the bottom and is sitting on my eco complete waving his fins and breathing heavily. Not sure if this is his way of adjusting to my tank or what but I don't want something to happen to him.

Suppose I should add that my pH is around 6.6-6.8, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrate roughly 10ppm. My water temp is 80 degrees. Also added some conditioner to maybe help with his stress and I turned the light off.

Bolivians can be a bit stressed looking when put in new tanks, how long did you acclimatise him for?

That's a bit short for a sensitive species, float the bag for 10-15 mins, then add some water every 15 mins for 1.5 hours or drip acclimatise. He should be okay, might just take him longer to settle, leave the lights off for a day or two.

That's a bit short for a sensitive species, float the bag for 10-15 mins, then add some water every 15 mins for 1.5 hours or drip acclimatise. He should be okay, might just take him longer to settle, leave the lights off for a day or two.

Will my plants be ok with the light off?

No problem, they're hardy little fish but can be shy and easily stressed in new tanks, if your set up is good he will end up at the front of the tank most of the time. All the Bolivians I've kept have been very curious and would often sit right at the front of the tank watching what's happening. They can be nasty little guys at times but usually with there own species and especially when breeding, though I've never seen a Bolivian kill another fish, just chasing and nipping usually.

Like stated above, leave your lights off and keep the tank area movement and noise to a minimum. Once it perks up, the personality/color of these fish will really show up! My female is always front and center. My male has beautiful fin colors.

Hes out and about now, moving around on the bottom of the tank, hasn't come up to eat though and its been a few days he hasn't eaten. Should I buy some food that will sink to try that?

Rams tend to be substrate feeders, and spend most of there time at the lower 3rd of the tank they take there food off the bottom. Try getting some sinking pellets like New Life Spectrums or drop a few bloodworms in to see if that gets taken.

I'd go with frozen, defrost them first and drop some in. They also love brine shrimp, I'd only feed the frozen once or twice a week though.

Well went to my lfs and they didn't have frozen so I got the freeze dried, also got sinking cichlid gold which was the only sinking fish food they had. So I guess I should of figured freeze dried blood worms wouldn't sink because they are dried out so hopefully my loach will come up and eat them. Also the sinking pellets are to big for him to eat and if cut them in half they don't sink, so not sure what to do. He went for them when they were sinking down but could only nibble them and then it seems like he cant seem them on the eco complete I have.

Any other food ideas? He kinda eats the big ones but it takes awhile and he never gets to eat the entire thing. Also my black skirt tetra wont come up to eat either anymore he hangs out on the bottom with my yoyo loach and the ram and trys to eat what they eat.

U only have one black skirt tetra? If I'm not kistaken they love to be in groups and act shy if not with there own kind.. Sounds like u got shy or sick fish!!! :(

U only have one black skirt tetra? If I'm not kistaken they love to be in groups and act shy if not with there own kind.. Sounds like u got shy or sick fish!!! :(

Only had one at first from my old tank, I have 5 now and everybody is acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom