New change gave high Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathanpopp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a new tank design including switching from gravel to sand. This caused me to change all water. No I read high everything. What to do? FYI my filter has been established for YEARS. I'm scared

Should I do water changes like every five minuets? Or every hour? Or every day?

I'd do back to back water changes until you get the levels where you want them. Keep the old media in there (from the filtration) if you find after 2-3 25% pwc your levels are still high try a 50-75% pwc. Was the new substrate stuff you had before? You may have sent your tank into cycle if you removed all your beneficial bacteria. If that's the case I'd take a nylon and stuff it with your old gravel and leave it sit in the tank as well. (The nylon makes it easier to remove once you get this under control)

Should I do water changes like every five minuets? Or every hour? Or every day?

How high are the readings? I'd do a 50% check in an hour if still high do 50-75%. Just keep doing them till they go down. Don't clean anything just replace water. Once it reads good you may be ok for a little while. Just keep checking and doing changes.

Last edited:
Just did a 50%water change. I'll change again at about 5 am. Hopefully everything lasts through the night. I also added a second filter and some quick start.

What did you do besides changing from gravel to sand.

During that process you removed a good portion of your BB, causing your tank to go into a mini-cycle. Did you also replace media in the filters? Any decor get removed?

By the way, don't waste your time with that quick start junk. All the BB in those bottles are most likely dead.

I'm not home right now to read them. They're all just reading around the mid range of my chart. "API"

Back
Top Bottom