New cichild.. Any advice would be great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been eyeing these guys out for some time now and finally got a pair today. Is there anything special these guys need? Right now they are housed in a 36 established tank with sand substrate with a school of Indian glass fish and 4 peppered cories. Could I get another pair of these guys or is that pushing it? Thanks any pointers in keeping these guys happy would be great:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 124
It looks like a electric blue gold face ram. A pair could work in your tank. They should eat prepared foods.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In a 36G with two pairs you'd probably be ok depending on how heavily planted or how many decorations/rocks there are. I've had two pairs in a 29G that were each breeding on their own ends of the tank, but the tank was heavily planted. You can feed them either flake/pellet or live/frozen foods. Make sure the water is stable such as the pH, temp and so forth and also clean as these fish are a little more sensitive than most. They are great fish though. Good luck

One more thing. It's definitely an EBR (Electric Blue Ram) but as far as the gold face goes, I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with that. I've gotten EBR from four different places none of them sold as Gold face but all of them had a gold face to some degree, some just bigger than others so I don't really think the Gold face means anything at all as they all seem to have it.

I'm pretty sure its a combination of the gold morph and the electric blue morph. Regular EBR seem to have more of a brown head, while the EBGoldR seem to have the bright orange-gold head

One more thing. It's definitely an EBR (Electric Blue Ram) but as far as the gold face goes, I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with that. I've gotten EBR from four different places none of them sold as Gold face but all of them had a gold face to some degree, some just bigger than others so I don't really think the Gold face means anything at all as they all seem to have it.

If you check out the gallery on apistogramma.com there is a thread called new ram strain or something like that, the op has been working this strain for a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of my EBR were not labeled as Gold Face but they look remarkably similar to the Gold Face EBR. I think it's just one more thing to sell. Such as the Macmasteri and Viejita. 99% of all "Viejita's" are actually Macmasteri's but Viejita's are worth more so... I didn't see anything on Apistogramma.com but I've never seen enough of a difference to say it's a different variant. They're all Electric Blue Ram's to me. I've seen the same thing with a Powder Blue Ram with somebody saying it's different than the EBR. Everybody wants something different.

It was the new color strain of microgeophagus ramirezi thread, but yeah it's another line breeding project with most likely weak fish just to make a quick buck.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info.. The colour came out nicely now that they are settled in:) this may sound like a stupid question but I'm guessing these guys can't go in my yellow lab/peacock tank? Also .. The pet sore also had Bolivian rams.. Would they mix well? Thanks again:)

No way would anyone with common sense advise mixing Rams and Africans. Opposite ends of the cichlid spectrum, even the water chemistry is way different.

They can be difficult to keep alive as they're fragile. I've had one about 2 months that's doing well, but i bought from a very good store that have quality stock. I keep him warm (about 28), and my water changes are little and often. There is nothing in with him to stress him either. Those would be my tips to keep them healthy.

I have mine in with a Bolivian Ram and they're ok, the EBR chases the Bolivian from time to time. It is an (approx) 48G tank though. I also have a female regular GBR which i bought from the same store and is doing good too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice.. They seem to be doing pretty well.. I will be picking up some more plants for these little guys tomorrow( can't today.. Due to canada day everything is closed ) they seem to be settling in pretty well and the blue is staring to show so I guess that's a good sign:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom