New rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl80

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I was was at my fav LFS and came home with 2 Rams that need some TLC ( fins mainly were gnawed) so I came home with more to Dr. I have them in a cycled 20 gal. So what should I feed them? Same as my other cichlids? I read a few places they are omnivores and other carnivore.... So I figured I'd ask here :) who knows, they may not make it, but I've had awesome luck on other surrenders that were in poor health.... I'm a sucker!! Hey if I have a tank why not fill it!! So any chance they'd be ok in a 20 gal hex? I have one of those too, I like to keep this for quarantine fish ( and the occasional time out) thx all!!

What type of rams? Any pictures? I would feed them the same thing as your other cichlids. That's nice that you're giving them a better home instead of being chewed on at the pet store!

there are many diffrent types of rams we need to know the species to be able to give you correct info.

The pet store got them.... This store is great and I love hanging out there. They know I'm a sucker when they get this kind in. I just let them in their tank.... They are hiding.... I'm sure taking in good clean maintained water!!! And no one to beat them up!!! They aren't real big maybe 2 inches, goldish in color, some black stripe in head n belly is redish... If that helps at all. I'm giving them time before I scare them anymore than they've already been put thru :) any other suggestions on making them feel at home?? I have a few plants in there I can pull some out of other tanks if they need more...

Does it look like this
RamCichlidWFCiam_Ap8AF.jpg
? These are golden rams... I would try maybe a few more plants, do you have any caves? I would put one or two caves in a well. I think that they're probably still scared from being at the store:nono: Hopefully they will get better soon!(y)

There are Rock caves in there... They kind of look like that just not the irridescant blue, but that may come? And not as much yellow. I will try to get pix.... But want them to settle in. I'll try to drop in a few more plants. Should I float some too?

I think that floating some couldn't hurt. I just chose the best looking photo on the page when I google imaged golden rams, so they can look different, plus they're probably stressed.

Owl307 said:
what about this its a gold ram
this is a bolivian ram...

Gold german ram doesnt have the black streak on the eye nor top fin.

Look like Bolivian rams and I googled and have been looking as well. But I'm sure they will color up as they heal. Thx all :)

This is a gold german ram

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 140
Alex is correct this is a gold German ram i had a pair of these guys they were awesome did really well in my 90l. The picture earlier in the thread was german blue ram.

img_1499179_0_7f3be54cad2bec509f39915159b3652b.jpg

img_1499179_1_70d91276b7ba011c6d60f8d5c8c48f02.jpg

img_1499179_2_c0534b13250246032faee07f988cf219.jpg

i have been trying to figure out what kind of rams i have. i believe its a german blue

posted some pics, i know the one in the back in the second pic is a gold

yeah thought so. veil finned i guess they call it. at the store i bought them they were calling them blue veil rams
i have a male and a female i believe. the females fins are alot shorter

Back
Top Bottom