New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stang23456

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just set up my new 75 gallon tank. I have around 25 cichlids in with many different types, mostly old world however I have 2 jags, 2 green terrors and one frontosa. My questions is I want to add a few of compressiceps but how long do I have until the tank is set as far as territorial ? Just wanna add like 2

I don't think I'm really understanding the question. If your asking how long do you have till you'll have to rehome some? Then it depends on the size of fish you have in there but I'd say less than a year. In all honesty you need to look at your stock list because most of them shouldn't be in that tank size or together

I have around 15 peacocks, 3 yellow labs, one orange lab, 2 small jaguars, 2 small green terrors and one frontosa

I have around 15 peacocks, 3 yellow labs, one orange lab, 2 small jaguars, 2 small green terrors and one frontosa

The peacocks and the orange one can all go in like a 75 gallon or bigger would be better.

The frontosa may do ok with them as a single. I think they should be in big groups.

The other 3 get huge and your looking at a 6' tank to start with. Jags get humongous i believe

Sorry I'm not the greatest with SA cichlids but you should never mix old and new together

I want to have mostly a new world tank however want to keep my old world ones as well since I've had them for a while. Which ones from my list go best with the new worlds ?

The peacocks and the orange one can all go in like a 75 gallon or bigger would be better.

The frontosa may do ok with them as a single. I think they should be in big groups.

The other 3 get huge and your looking at a 6' tank to start with. Jags get humongous i believe

Sorry I'm not the greatest with SA cichlids but you should never mix old and new together

Not true old world riverine cichlids come from the same kid of waters as most New world fish, soft, acidic, and stained with tannis. A better statement would be not to mix Rift Lake cichlids with any riverine type old or new world.

I want to have mostly a new world tank however want to keep my old world ones as well since I've had them for a while. Which ones from my list go best with the new worlds ?

Op do some research on your current stocklist and find out whee they all come from. I could tell you but people on this forum need to learn how to use google for basic info. Not referring to you specifically just saying. Anywho I will tell you the Frontosa gets massive.

Agreed that's what I meant

I knew what you were getting at I'm just a sucker for west and Central African riverine sp and people seem to forget they exist. I'm on a mission to re- expose this awesome group of fish to the hobby!

OP screw it I'm just goin to tell you. Fromtosa is from Lake Malawi and was considered a hap for many years but has been re classed to the genus Cyphotilapia. The labs are all Mbuna from lake Malawi. The peacocks are also from lake Malawi. Peacocks and Mbuna don't usually mix but the member of Labidochromis will be fine with them. The green terrors SA. The jags are Malawi and really should be kept as a bonded pair or a wet pet as they are large (over a ft. full grown) an extremely aggressive, not just territorial. The Green terrors are also a good size and quite mean. Your stock list is kind of all over the place and I wouldn't recommend adding anything to this tank. My advice would be to dumb the jags and frontosa right away. Then take a few days and decide what fish you like best. At that point let us know and More advice will be given.

I'll recommend getting rid of the frontosa, the jaguars and the green terrors. The peacocks and labs will get along fine in the 75, though the tank will be at upper stocking limits and you will need to be on top of water changes and filter maintenance. The frontosa may do alright, but they are large fish (8"-13", depending on sex) and really should be in groups.

A 75 is the absolute bare minimum I'll say is acceptable for a single jag, though I say that with reservations and wouldn't recommend it. A female is gonna hit 12"-13" easily, males larger. They are also not going to tolerate the other fish once they start growing out. IMO, few Africans can hold their own with a large CA cichlid. The green terrors are SA in origin and will get about 5"-10", again dependent on sex and care. In spite of the name, I've always found them to be less aggressive than their reputation. They like having their space and don't respond well to the overcrowded conditions typical in African tanks; they will be much happier in someone else's tank.

As far as I can remember, don't recall frontosas ever bein' considered a "hap" by hobbyists; few of the Lake Tanganyika fish are or have ever been. Regardless, they are currently in their own tribe (Cyphotilapiini) in the subfamily Pseudocrenilabrinae, and are from Lake Tanganyika rather than Lake Malawi.

WYite

I agree with everything here except Jags are from Central America not malwai. But yes they get huge and highly aggressive. Also I highly recommend not mixing any African and new worlds. Just choose to do African or new world.

As far as I can remember, don't recall frontosas ever bein' considered a "hap" by hobbyists; few of the Lake Tanganyika fish are or have ever been. Regardless, they are currently in their own tribe (Cyphotilapiini) in the subfamily Pseudocrenilabrinae, and are from Lake Tanganyika rather than Lake Malaw

I though when I researched frontosas that they were classified in the genus Haplochromis before being re classed into their own tribe. You would probably know better than I. And also I was kind of on a tyrant when I wrote that post I did mean to put Tanganyika for the front.

It seems I got my info mixed up on this one OP you can go ahead an disregard most of what I said.

OP screw it I'm just goin to tell you. Fromtosa is from Lake Malawi and was considered a hap for many years but has been re classed to the genus Cyphotilapia. The labs are all Mbuna from lake Malawi. The peacocks are also from lake Malawi. Peacocks and Mbuna don't usually mix but the member of Labidochromis will be fine with them. The green terrors SA. The jags are Malawi and really should be kept as a bonded pair or a wet pet as they are large (over a ft. full grown) an extremely aggressive, not just territorial. The Green terrors are also a good size and quite mean. Your stock list is kind of all over the place and I wouldn't recommend adding anything to this tank. My advice would be to dumb the jags and frontosa right away. Then take a few days and decide what fish you like best. At that point let us know and More advice will be given.

Here's the deal. I had my Africans in a smaller tank and decided to set up a larger tank. I really like the GT, jags and frontosas and want the new tank to be stocked with those type. I don't though want my tank to be bare and just have a few fish in it.

Here's the deal. I had my Africans in a smaller tank and decided to set up a larger tank. I really like the GT, jags and frontosas and want the new tank to be stocked with those type. I don't though want my tank to be bare and just have a few fish in it.

That's understood but all of those cichlids get big and mixing old world rift cichlids isn't a good idea with the new world cichlids.

Your tank size isn't big enough to meet the needs of these monster fish you have, that's where part of the problem lies. If your wanting to keep any of those cichlids the only ones that will work is all the Africans. Or just doing one JD with with pleco, silver dollars, things of that nature.

The best advice any of us can give you is to do a little research on what you have and their needs.

Here is a profile for the Jd
http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/south-american-cichlid/green-terror/100042.asp

Last edited:
Jd ? You mean jaguar ? Also, could compressisps go with Africans ?

Back
Top Bottom