New World question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have this 55 gal and I was thinking of adding a green terror, tapajos sp Red Head, and possibly another cichlid or not. I was wondering ifit would work and are female species not as aggressive just wondering.

For a 55g, I would say that you are maxed out.

But if you must add a fish, get one that swims more at the top level like a severum.

Tigerosx said:
U said adding what's already in the tank?

No this was just a stocking idea not what's in it.

Yeah a GT will likely max you out.

The toughest part about keeping new world cichlids is trying to gage the aggression of them.

There is no sure fire way to tell what kind of attitude your fish will have. There are some species that are less likely to be hyper aggressive, but even then you can end up with a terror.

As far as male or female, again depends on the fish. I myself and others can tell ya both sexes can be out right nasty.

Aski247 said:

The toughest part about keeping new world cichlids is trying to gage the aggression of them.

There is no sure fire way to tell what kind of attitude your fish will have. There are some species that are less likely to be hyper aggressive, but even then you can end up with a terror.

As far as male or female, again depends on the fish. I myself and others can tell ya both sexes can be out right nasty.

I wonder this cause the women my lfs has female red devils with others and the male seperated so I was surprised when she said they didn't attack each other so I wonder about the sexes and I will give this idea more thought and keep thinking on it

Agreed. I just had to remove a Green Terror from my 180 gallon because he couldn't play nice with the other fish...and that's a 6 foot tank.

A 55 wouldn't work for more than one fish if its on the aggressive side in my opinion.

More then likely the male / female RD's were split due to breeding. Males will become hyper aggressive towards her if she is Un willing to spawn.

And after a female lays her eggs she can become out right NASTY. I have seen females that put my RD to shame.. And he was a absolute nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom