Peaceful Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everybody,

I have been wanting some electric yellow labidochromis cichlids for a long time now, but people say that they're too aggressive to be kept with anything... Is this true... If so, what are some cichlids that i could get at a regular fish store (Jack's Aquarium maybe) that won't be a nuisance to it's tankmates.:thanks:

Yellow labs can be kept with other african cichlids, but thats about it. If you're looking for a cichlid that can be kept with community fish, you'll want to look in to Angels, rams, apistogrammas, kribensis, maybe even discus if you plan your stocking correctly. There are others, but those are the most common and readily available IMO

Do you have any in mind? There are so many, it really all boils down to personal preference. Also, tank size is a big consideration, so that will be a big factor.

For me, a pair of angels, a school of 10-12 penguin tetras, a group of 8 panda cories, and a bristlenose pleco would be my choice. But... that's just a stocking plan I've wanted for a while and have yet to do it.

Do you think the yellows an some clowns, cories, or plecs would coexist peacefully together. they are all sort of shy and wouldn't challenge

Cories are so peaceful, I used to have three in a 37 gallon with my tiger barbs. They are always active and amazing to watch. The tiger barbs were a bit nasty but if I can give one solid word of advice: heed
the advice of others if they say a fish is too aggressive. Don't just try it an hope it works out cuz you will end up with just the aggressive fish. I have a red devil that killed 4 of my fish, 2 salvinis and 2 pollenis and that was in a 125 gallon tank. He was just too aggressive and I didn't listen.

German blue rams are my new obsession they are peaceful cichilds! but i read they can be very difficult. they are also very colorful and so beautiful. i have two bolivian ram cichilids that are similar but not as pretty lol

German Blue Rams can be a little sensitive. There are the Bolivian Rams which are very similar in appearance but a little larger and a little hardier.

I suggest German Blue Rams. They are beautiful and great to watch. They aren't too aggressive, if at all. The only times I saw mine being aggressive was when they were breeding. Everyone says they are sensitive and somewhat hard to care for, but I added 1 male and 2 females to a 2 day old 10g tank with a few live plants, a thing of mopani root, and EcoComplete substrate. Within 3 weeks I had a batch of eggs in a crater in the substrate (this was 4 days ago). The parents at the fry though. :(

Back
Top Bottom