Possibly sick or constipated discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm a new member, I'm trying to act quickly, before my discus gets worse. I've got a small discus, she's 2 years old and only 3" tall, got her from a breeder who couldn't "use" her, and she hasn't grown in the year we've had her. She's normally very active in our community tank, but has been hiding the last 2 days. When I've seen her out today, she's "floating" in the middle of the tank and seems to go diagonal while floating. I've also seen her spit out food, although she hasn't eaten today. Could she be constipated? I've read epsom salt can cure constipation, but wanted get a second opinion before treating her.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What are your ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings as well as the tank temp and tankmates?

Ph is 6.8, ammonia and nitrates are 0, temperature is at 82F (I know this is a little low for discus, but it's been at 82F for a year now without a problem). Tank mates are adolescent discus 2.5", 3 tetras, 1 beta, 2 small plecos, and 1 whisker shrimp. Everything else seems healthy, we do regular water changes, no problems in months. We feed a wide variety of food: brine shrimp, blood worms, tropical flake, frozen "Chichlid Delight", and peas, varying often.

Try the constipation treatment as it won't hurt. However, if it looks like there is white stringy poo then that is caused by internal paracites.

If that is the case you will need to treat with a medication like Flagyl. You may need to get it from a vet. If intestinal infections take hold they can devastate a discus tank. You would have to treat the whole tank.

Thanks, will watch for changes in behavior or white poo. I fed the tank just peas last night, and without the brine shrimp or blood worms, she ate quite a bit of the peas. I'll also get epsom today, can I treat the whole tank or do I need to quarantine the large discus? Will the epsom salt have any negative affect on the rest of the tank mates?

The large discus is out today, which is an improvement, she's been hiding during the day for the past couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

She ate yesterday, however she is still doing a weird "hovering" thing. She gets out in the middle of the tank and hovers, tilting at around a 60 degree angle, pointing her face upwards. I haven't seen her poop, however I rarely do.

Any suggestions about what could be causing this strange behavior?

soundslike a type of float .. now most fish that get actual float are deep water fish such as my Frontosa .. here would be my suggestion to you ... first off your PH sounds high for discus which unfortunately are beautiful but the hardest tropical type fish to keep alive ... i would treat you tank with Metro daily and i would add Epsom salt which will act as a laxative and help the medication... those are my only suggestions ... but i would do something quick

Back
Top Bottom