Question about hap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Hap is moving rocks around the tank making clear spots on the bottom of tank. He is moving all kinds of stuff around lol. Is there a reason he is doing this or is it normal?

oh yeah. any mouth brooder can cross with any other mouth brooder.

the babies will just be a little interesting. does he shimmy to her? lure her to the pit? nip her without biting?

Pretty standard behavior for a male hap. Most males have and defend a flat rock within their territory in order to entice females to lay their eggs. His rock moving behavior may lessen if you add a nice flat rock to the tank.

1)they get preggo from circling, laying eggs, fertilising and the female picks them up.
2) the male goes off or protects her, more than often leaves her.
3) fem stops eating. hides more or defends territory by quick chases.
4) chin drops, for 3 weeks carries fry no food.
5) she spits or is stripped to collect fry.
6) happy babies, in ur case hybrids!

So when she stops eating she is holding and I have been trying to get a pix of her but she won't stay still long enough she was really bad bloated when I got her she is looking much better. She hides until I come up to tank then she comes out and swims up and down front of tank. So what exactly is circling? Is it like courting each other to get ready to make the babies? Sorry so many question these are the first cichlids I have ever owned. I want to learn everything I need too. So they will be happy!

they seem very happy atm! lol
the circling will be the spawning. look up on youtube for example mbuna (they are mouthbrooders) and check out spawning. its quite cool and can show you better than i can explain! haha x

Back
Top Bottom