Red Devil/Midas 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireHorn123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm going to be setting up a red devil tank. I'm going to have a breeding pair of Red Devils if they are not available I will get a Midas pair. (Don't tell me that a 75 is too small that is all I can afford right now). Also there will be a divider in the tank 85% of the time. Anyway my questions are:
1. What would be better for a 75g a Midas or a red devil pair
2. Can I put plants in the tank with them?
3. If I can't put plants in what structure do you guys reccomend?
4. What dithers if any do you think I should get?

So you are already aware that the tank is too small so why proceed? Here is one of my male midevil's in the 72b(same tank dimensions) now try to picture two of them. This fish wasn't even full grown, in this picture he was 13". Please don't respond the females are smaller.... Dithers don't last as they get eaten or killed. The second problem is trying to find a clean strain so you'll have to buy from Jeff or Gage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So what might you suggest as a different pair of cichlids? I want a somewhat large fish and yes it has to be a pair.

I'd look into Herichthys such as Deppi, Sp Turquoise, or Pearsei personally. They will stay around that 7-9" range which will be acceptable in a 75g with a proper water change schedule. Here is one my larger male turquoise.

27198-albums10983-picture47496.jpg

Hmm interesting how many can I have in a 75? What about a rivulatus pair? Also how hard are Pearsi to find? Also are the deppi hard to find and can I have a pair in the 75?

All of the species I listed can be kept in pairs as well as rivulatus. I don't keep anything you'll find at a local shop so you'll have to order online.

You know I had a long drawn out post ready to send.. but then thought why.. anyone who is interested in these fish should have a decent grasp of what putting 2 large hyper aggy fish in a 4' box is gonna end up like.

Let's say you ignore everyone.. you roughly have 1 year. To rehome or upgrade.

A female living in tight quarters in constant fear of being killed, stressed to spawn.. and a psycho male who only wants to spawn.. yeah fish are gonna die one way or the other. Illness from stress or aggression when you try and spawn.. you don't just lift a divider and boom she drops eggs.. lol

Do what ya wanna do. RD/midevils are the pitbulls of the hobby, meaning bad rap.. most over bred, super common, and not many people want them after they are grown ups..

I have a really great lfs and they most of the time won't even take full grown ones. I bet if I look on my CL or FB someone is giving one away right now.. [emoji23][emoji106]

Guess it's still a long post.. [emoji57][emoji23]

You know I had a long drawn out post ready to send.. but then thought why.. anyone who is interested in these fish should have a decent grasp of what putting 2 large hyper aggy fish in a 4' box is gonna end up like.

Let's say you ignore everyone.. you roughly have 1 year. To rehome or upgrade.

A female living in tight quarters in constant fear of being killed, stressed to spawn.. and a psycho male who only wants to spawn.. yeah fish are gonna die one way or the other. Illness from stress or aggression when you try and spawn.. you don't just lift a divider and boom she drops eggs.. lol

Do what ya wanna do. RD/midevils are the pitbulls of the hobby, meaning bad rap.. most over bred, super common, and not many people want them after they are grown ups..

I have a really great lfs and they most of the time won't even take full grown ones. I bet if I look on my CL or FB someone is giving one away right now.. [emoji23][emoji106]

Guess it's still a long post.. [emoji57][emoji23]
Well I didn't mean permanently. I hope you guys didn't think that?! If I do get them I will get them at an inch which gives me plenty of time to save up for a 120 because of my birthday and Christmas. Maybe I should've clarified that a little better.... I apologize for that and now that I've realized that it's almost impossible to get a pure Midas or red devil I think I'm going to give up on the idea and get a rivulatus pair instead thanks you guys for the info.
btw HUKIT no need to be rude I was simply asking a question about a fish no need to attach a link to google that's quite rude and disrespectful especially if I'm asking you your opinion which shows that I respect your knowledge... I gave you respect and I expect it in return that's just childish and I'm 15 years old tourneys probably a grown man!

120 although a bigger tank is still only 5' you really need a 125+ for the 6' foot print. And if I was gonna save up for a new tank, I would save up for the right tank.

And honestly, there really isn't a need to save up 7-800$ to buy a new tank.

Facebook has the bazar or whatever they call it. As well as CL and offer up.. them big tanks are really not hard to come by.

And most hobbiest know they are not gonna make money back on a tank, so them people you see wanting 5-600$ for a 55g tank.. are idiots, just wanting what they put in..

I got a 135g tank years ago for 150$ literally the filters and lights and substrate cost almost 4x what the **** tank did..

Anyways my point is.. I would just wait any get the tank that could House my wanted stock list for life..

Go big or go home! Otherwise life will just get in the way. Then you'll end up having adult fish in too small of a tank.

120 although a bigger tank is still only 5' you really need a 125+ for the 6' foot print. And if I was gonna save up for a new tank, I would save up for the right tank.

And honestly, there really isn't a need to save up 7-800$ to buy a new tank.

Facebook has the bazar or whatever they call it. As well as CL and offer up.. them big tanks are really not hard to come by.

And most hobbiest know they are not gonna make money back on a tank, so them people you see wanting 5-600$ for a 55g tank.. are idiots, just wanting what they put in..

I got a 135g tank years ago for 150$ literally the filters and lights and substrate cost almost 4x what the **** tank did..

Anyways my point is.. I would just wait any get the tank that could House my wanted stock list for life..
Like I said I'm 15 even $200 is hard to get because I'm unemployed and my high school football team practice takes up 5 days out the week and by the time I get home it's dark so I can't get a job the only time I could work is on the weekends but I use that time to hangout with friends. But like I said I'm not going with the Red Devils anymore I'm putting a pair of rivulatus in the 75g instead

I mean... I'd like to say I feel for ya.. but I've have a job since I was 14.. and I'm 33.. so..

If you want it bad enough.. you will figure the way. It's about to be summer time.. sure you know how to work a lawn mower..[emoji23][emoji106]

I mean... I'd like to say I feel for ya.. but I've have a job since I was 14.. and I'm 33.. so..

If you want it bad enough.. you will figure the way. It's about to be summer time.. sure you know how to work a lawn mower..[emoji23][emoji106]
I have football practice from 1 to 5 on weekdays pal. Yes I do know how to work a lawn mower and I do mow lawns on the weekend every now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all did stupid things when we started out. Hell I started before the internet and had to read books that were old and outdated(I'm 43 not 93 too, Lol). The google link wasn't meant to be disrespectful but rather part of the fun is researching new fish to keep. To date I've kept over 300 species of fish and bred over a hundred species of cichlids. Google is your friend in this day and age, just don't believe everything you read on Internet forums?.

Just a friendly reminder that things are to remain polite and respectful. Had to remove some postings due to not following this part of the community rules.

We all did stupid things when we started out. Hell I started before the internet and had to read books that were old and outdated(I'm 43 not 93 too, Lol). The google link wasn't meant to be disrespectful but rather part of the fun is researching new fish to keep. To date I've kept over 300 species of fish and bred over a hundred species of cichlids. Google is your friend in this day and age, just don't believe everything you read on Internet forums��.
I'll keep that in mind and ok I apologize for interpreting that wrong!:p

i would suggest looking at a smaller cichlid if you want a pair. That way you can setup some natural caves and such. also could keep a group of dithers / schooling fish to add to the tank. Monster fish require more work and large tanks, both of which you don't seem to have and likely won't be getting for some time.

There are plenty of 3-5" fish that would be colorful and fun to watch and could be housed with some other cool fish to make for a stunning display tank.

I will tell you from experience that even a young pair of GT's will be hard on each other and can do permanent damage possibly kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom