"rock"uascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
wierd title, right? added rock and aquascaping together... anyways, what are your thoughts on making "rockwork"? I was just looking at how pitiful my 150 looks right now and got thinking about possibly taking some quickrete and making some caves and things... would that be a bad idea? ive heard of salties making their own "live rock" out of concrete, just wondering if i could do something like that. I enjoy diy projects and so does my fiance'... thought we could have something fun to do and also try and not only make the tank more pleasing to the eye, but more natural for the fish... any thoughts?

I really like rock, stone and wood used in aquascaping.

I particularly like the look of petrified wood and cliffstone. I have a nice little cliffstone cave pictured in my 20g album.

Stone and wood can definitely get pricey. Since your tank is so big, a DIY might be a great way to get exactly what you want without paying a ton of money.
Go for it!

This subject has been talked about many times, and many people make DIY rock for their hard water cichlid tanks... Here is probably the best example I have seen:

Attachments

• frontosa-tank.jpg
    frontosa-tank.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
wow, i doubt mine will look quite like that lol... so i went ahead and started making some, didnt know if concrete would be ok in an aquarium or not... figured it would be fun to make even if i couldnt use them... i used a pizza box with a 6" bed of sand on it... put a pop can in and made a "cave" for part of it...i plan on making them so that they will stack properly with several hiding placed... im actually really excited about this :)

The real deal is when you add rock salt of various sized chunks and pellets to your slurry... Then when you clean it and soak it at the end, it melts off leaving you with big crags and a pitted surface, even holes can be made if you use very coarse chunks of salt...

Back
Top Bottom