Someone help me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaDdyJustin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon bow front peacock tank, I house 9 in it,
-2 Blueberry OB's...1 2&1/2 inches and 1-3&1/2 inches
-1 2&1/2 inch red shoulder
- 1 3&1/2 inch orchid blue
-1 3 inch ruby red
-1 2&1/2 inch sunshine
-3 sulfer heads, 1 3&1/2 inch, 2 2&1/2 inch

So 2 days ago I took a fake plant out and replaced it with a different one and my fish started tripping, rubbing themselves alot on the gravel, way more than the usual cichlid does, I was referd to use copper safe so this morning I went and got it and after I added it my fish really went off the walls, started twitching and spazzing out than rubbing themselves at a fast pace on the rocks, so I did a 40% water change thinkin that they didn't like the copper safe, I added fluval conditioner and aquarium salt, turned the heater up a tad bit and put a lil melafix in it, there still not acting right, and I don't know what to do, my readings are all good except my nitrate is at 2.0, can some one help me out please?!!!

They might be getting used to the new plant in the tank, if it bothers you so much I would take the new plant out and put the old plant back in where it was.

First of all quit adding stuff till you know what's wrong.
Second did you rinse the plant off before you but it in?
Third when in doubt do a water change. I'd do about 50% and then give them a bit to adjust

2 days seems a short period to be seeing a reaction to a plant that youve added...

I agree with TCC stop adding things to the tank if you dont know what's wrong! Adding salt, heat and other meds for something you havent diagnosed or dont have an idea what it could be is just dangerous! I know its stressful when your fish are sick but slooow down. NEVER EVER mix or use meds without leaving week between them or without using carbon in between for afew days to remove any previous medication left over. Mixing meds can cause death. As can salt heat and meds together.

Unless its ich, raising the temperature and adding salt for an undiagnosed illness will do nothing but make it 10x worse.

Do 50% minimum now and add carbon to remove medication!

What are the parameters of you tank? First thing you should be doing is testing your water.

*EDIT*! Youre nitrite is at 2.0!! Do a 50% this second and then another 50% in 2hours time or you may not have fish by tomorrow. THIS IS MORE THAN LIKELY THE ONLY PROBLEM, NOTHING ELSE.

Water change, water change and water change. If you are at 2.0 for nitrate I would do 75% that will get it down to .5 wait a few hours and another 50% will put you at .25 the flashing is most likely from the high nitrates.

Ahhhh. Nitrate.. i misread it as nitrite.. are you sure you dont mean nitrite anyway.. Nitrate testers usually give the results in tens. I.E 10ppm 20ppm ect. Not as u said 2.0ppm for example.

Back
Top Bottom