Tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a 75g tank that much bigger than a 55g. I know the only change is in depth. Would I be better off getting a different size tank when upgrading from the 55g?

I have been having a hard time finding stands for 100g or 120g tanks. Are these tanks not typical? They seem outrageously heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 75 isn't going to be a huge improvement from a 55, although the added depth is nice. Personally, I'd shoot for a 6' tank. Stands are in fact going to be harder to find, as most people do not buy tanks larger than 100 gallons and are more popular as commercial tanks or to hobbyists

I know petsmart has tanks over 100 gallons maybe you can find a stand there.

I have found all my tanks on Craigslist. Check there first because you can find something wonderful. I recently bought a 46 gal bow front with an xl angel fish included, powerfilter, everything inside of the tank, stand and lights for only 100 $.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 75g tank gives you a lot more options than a 55g tank. That being said, a 6' tank gives you even more options. Which is best depends on what kind of fish you are planning on keeping.

Anyplace that sells big tanks should also sell stands for them. Where are you looking?

Started at pet smart and petco, but I cannot find anything that size (tank/stand). I also started to look at Amazon. Think I'm going to start to try craigslist.

I only have one LFS, that is over priced only carries saltwater fish. They are not usually helpful.

About how much should a 100g tank cost?

What are the dimensions of the tank?

100g is not a standard size tank.

72"x18"x19"

That sounds like the same base size as a standard 125. Measure to be sure but a stand for a 125 should work.

Can you put a discus in a 125g? What about if you have a green terror and Severum

You can certainly keep discus in a 6ft tank. A decent sized group of them even.

Combining discus with severum is going to be hit or miss. Might be OK in a 6ft tank but definitely could have issues.

I would definitely not combine discus with a green terror.

You can certainly keep discus in a 6ft tank. A decent sized group of them even.

Combining discus with severum is going to be hit or miss. Might be OK in a 6ft tank but definitely could have issues.

I would definitely not combine discus with a green terror.

I dont see any problem with severums tbh, theyve always been super peaceful fish to me, they are also classed as peaceful. Althought for the terror, i must agree it will most likely not work. These fish get quite agressive.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Okay so I have been on Craigslist finding different size tanks (100+). I am wondering what I need to ensure that I setup the tank correctly. This is a big upgrade for me and I think I need to acquire new equipment.

Do I need to change to a canister filter? What is a 30g sump? Do I need night time LEDs or do I keep the normal hood? What a bout a bubbler?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to ensure that if I invest in this size tank that I set it up correctly for the fish.

Well, on my 125G I use 4 x Eheim pickup 2012 internal filters. Each are good to 50G so you would be best to put 3 on a 100G and over filter.
Advantages
No need for a bubbler as they break the water surface and oxygenate the water.
If one breaks down you have more to keep things running.
Cheap and easy to clean / use.
Disadvantages
Need 3 plugs.
Take up a bit of room in the tank.
Produce a fair current which some fish not so keen on.
No chemical filtration but not critical really as long as you condition your tap water properly.

Despite the disadvantages, I would recommend as the safety and ease of use are big considerations.

Lighting wise, if the existing stuff will fit I would use that. Don't worry if the lighting is dimmer as the fish normally prefer that and it looks better anyway imo.

Back
Top Bottom