Tank swap question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm switching my 72 into my new 90 gallon. Same rocks and canister filters. Question is should I try and swap the sand over too or just get new stuff?

Yah you guys are right. I have half a bag lying around plus I will need to get it out eventually anyway. I think we are gonna do a turtle tank in it in the future. Plus it's aragonite and I really like the texture

A full swap will be easy. Just add a little more substrate and your good. Contain your fish in temporary 5g buckets or a big rubbermaid garbage can

A full swap will be easy. Just add a little more substrate and your good. Contain your fish in temporary 5g buckets or a big rubbermaid garbage can

Thanks I have 3 25 gallon Rubbermaid containers ill be using so I can use water from current tank

Yes. Your best bet is to fill them all up with your tank water. Then move your fish there. Fill the 75g up with new water. Siphon all sand and water to new tank. Remove new water from 90g and add old water back. Thats how ive done it in the past

Yes. Your best bet is to fill them all up with your tank water. Then move your fish there. Fill the 75g up with new water. Siphon all sand and water to new tank. Remove new water from 90g and add old water back. Thats how ive done it in the past

Hmmm not sure how ill do that. They're going in same spot and I can't get the vacuum hose hooked to my sink. Was gonna empty it all move it then move new one in its spot and add all back. Your siphon sucks up your sand? Mine seems too week when I clean the tank

I use the aqueon connected to a water hose for extra force. My tanks 8 feet in the air so added down force can clean a 125g tank in 20 mins

So I'm planning this swap so it goes smooth as possible and have some more questions!

1. Do I have to have aeration? Right now I have a sponge filter that's been gurgling since this tank was set up and I'd like to ditch it! Its so loud! Do I need an air stone or something to oxygenate? I don't like bubble walls personally in African tank. I have two canisters with outlets pointed toward surface and I have two circulation pumps pointing one down toward front and one down toward back. This keeps the crud from sitting on sand. I have a spare aquaclear 50 hob I can also use to achieve the oxygenation I guess also. Ideally I don't want an air pump or a hob filter

In typing that I forgot what my other questions were! Ha

So I'm planning this swap so it goes smooth as possible and have some more questions!

1. Do I have to have aeration? Right now I have a sponge filter that's been gurgling since this tank was set up and I'd like to ditch it! Its so loud! Do I need an air stone or something to oxygenate? I don't like bubble walls personally in African tank. I have two canisters with outlets pointed toward surface and I have two circulation pumps pointing one down toward front and one down toward back. This keeps the crud from sitting on sand. I have a spare aquaclear 50 hob I can also use to achieve the oxygenation I guess also. Ideally I don't want an air pump or a hob filter

In typing that I forgot what my other questions were! Ha

As long as you have good surface agitation, an air stone is not needed.

How do I know what is "good " though? I may just use the aquaclear to be safe as I have a wood canopy so it will not be seen other than the intake tube

How do I know what is "good " though? I may just use the aquaclear to be safe as I have a wood canopy so it will not be seen other than the intake tube

If you can get the canister outputs right on the surface, you're good. I have 3 canisters on my 125 with no power heads or anything and I don't hear anybody complaining about a lack of oxygen. The water has good movement. Keep the water moving top to bottom and your real good.

If you can get the canister outputs right on the surface, you're good. I have 3 canisters on my 125 with no power heads or anything and I don't hear anybody complaining about a lack of oxygen. The water has good movement. Keep the water moving top to bottom and your real good.

Ok thanks!

Back
Top Bottom