Test level help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beefsteaks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody, iv jus got myself a API liquid test kit an done away with the tetra test strips! These are my levels -
PH - 7.6
PH High range - 7.4
AMMONIA NH3 + NH4 - 0.25ppm
Nitrite NO2 - 5.0ppm
Nitrate NO3 - 40-80ppm

Now I know I'm going to get a right grilling for these levels but I'm stuck as to what else I can do to help bring these levels down?? I do regular water changes jus done one tonight an iv jus brought some SEACHEM PRIME which my first dose went in tonight! But please can someone point me the right direction
Thanks in advance
Beefsteaks

Keep up the water changes, as regularly as possible, give the gravel a good vacuum - I usually do one half one week then the other the week after, reduce feeding for a while, or don't feed for a few days. Is the tank recently just set up? It looks like your nearly fully cycled.

Yes mate the tanks been up an running for 12 weeks an all my levels were spot on for Malawi cichlids but last weekend I brought couple more.... Stupidly! An my levels ave gone through the roof nitrate isn't as bad as it was durin the week but my nitrite are on the highest level :-(

It could be a mini cycle caused by the addition of the fish, so hard not to buy more fish at the start - but after this you will probably rethink it, happens to us all in one form or another. If you where fully cycled previously, mini cycles usually don't last to long as your beneficial bacteria will catch up pretty quickly if your not overstocked or under filtered, just keep daily water changes and Prime can be used in emergcenies to sort out your ammonia and in massive doses denitrify, but only for 24 hours or so - water changes the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom