Tiger barbs = snacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
I picked up 6 tiger barbs a couple of days ago thinking they may serve as dither fish for my 3.5 inch very timid green terror (gold saum). Well, he's just as timid still, and I'm short a tiger barbs I even made sure to get only the largest ones the store had to avoid this issue. Probably taking the rest of the barbs back. Considering maybe some bala sharks? I have a 55 gal tank. Any suggestions or thoughts? I may have asked this before, bare with me, I just turned 30, I'm getting old and my memory is going. I certainly want some semi aggressive fish at least. I think g. Danios and the like would just be snacks as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked up 6 tiger barbs a couple of days ago thinking they may serve as dither fish for my 3.5 inch very timid green terror (gold saum). Well, he's just as timid still, and I'm short a tiger barbs I even made sure to get only the largest ones the store had to avoid this issue. Probably taking the rest of the barbs back. Considering maybe some bala sharks? I have a 55 gal tank. Any suggestions or thoughts? I may have asked this before, bare with me, I just turned 30, I'm getting old and my memory is going. I certainly want some semi aggressive fish at least. I think g. Danios and the like would just be snacks as well. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
just get 4 more tigers, forget the balas, they are the most taboo aquarium species in this forumn, peeps get crazy when they see bala shark;)

I'm not gaga over the balas but I think they look neat. Not crazy about how big they get but they're a considerable option. You think the big guy will leave the barbs alone if there's a bigger school of them?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If those rainbows get destroyed thats a REAL expensive snack. In my town their like 7 bucks, because I do t ship at petsmart

If those rainbows get destroyed thats a REAL expensive snack. In my town their like 7 bucks, because I do t ship at petsmart

That's true! I kow a guy that keeps a school w African cichlids w no probs. anything is possible but I feel you!

I'm thinking for rainbows to work you'd need a large school and adult sizes.

just get 4 more tigers, forget the balas, they are the most taboo aquarium species in this forumn, peeps get crazy when they see bala shark;)

Not gonna get horribly off topic but ya know after thinking about this, it's really true! Them and black ghost knifes always seem to spark the largest attacks and arguments

What about Australian rainbow fish school instead of barbs?

Ya know, the first thing I tried was 3 bosemani Rainbows. and they did almost become an expensive snack. my gt came up behind them in what I can only describe as a "Jaws" moment. I had to get them out as quickly as possible. Maybe like someone said, they'd work if there were a large group of them, but thats still a pricey experiment I think. Which is a shame, because they looked great in the tank together.

well it's settled. 4 bala sharks and a pacu it is! going into my gargantuous 55 gallon tank. new question, what else can I put in a 55 gal with 4 balas and a-- I'm only teasing. Just stirring the pot a bit. :)

Great idea ! :)

well it's settled. 4 bala sharks and a pacu it is! going into my gargantuous 55 gallon tank. new question, what else can I put in a 55 gal with 4 balas and a-- I'm only teasing. Just stirring the pot a bit. :)
sweet! I just brought home my new alligator gar in a betta bowl!

I hear those guys do better in schools. You'd better get a couple more in there.... and also 4 balas and a pacu. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I took it back, it ate my cat.

Oh? I thought cats were their recommended diet. I feed my cichlids wild bugs and rodents. That's what the guy at petsmart told me to do.

Really ? I give mine my own left overs, petco said it was a good thing to add to their diet.

Back
Top Bottom