Tormented ID again please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
This little one is being chased a lot by a Jack Dempsey(3 inch). Is this because they look similar or, because they are male/female JD? I need a positive ID on the victim. Lol!

ForumRunner_20130730_190205.jpg

ForumRunner_20130730_190223.jpg

Are they baby jewels? I bought a pair of similar fish and am doubting they are jewels now.

The fish getting picked on appears to also be a Jack Dempsey. Both appear to be males. The aggressor is establishing dominance over the tank. I suggest a water change and rearrange the tank decor. Make sure there are plenty of hiding spots and breaks in the line of sight. If the aggression continues it maybe time to rehome the victim. Jacks can be very aggressive towards tank mates to the point that they may kill them or stress them to the point of death.

The fish getting picked on appears to also be a Jack Dempsey. Both appear to be males. The aggressor is establishing dominance over the tank. I suggest a water change and rearrange the tank decor. Make sure there are plenty of hiding spots and breaks in the line of sight. If the aggression continues it maybe time to rehome the victim. Jacks can be very aggressive towards tank mates to the point that they may kill them or stress them to the point of death.

Is this the reason for the lack of coloration on the victim? At any rate, they will both be leaving me soon unfortunately. I got these guys as part of a package deal w/ the tank. The rest are mbuna. I really love the look of JD's but, they get too big for my current set up and I've read that mixing continents isn't a good idea.

What size tank is this? There may not be enough territory for 2 "semi-aggressive" fish regardless.

Looks like a horribly stressed out rocio octofasciata...Better pictures would help, the lighting in those is terrible, so it's hard to get a positive ID

Its a 4 ft. 75 gallon. The pics are about as good as it gets with my phone camera.

Back
Top Bottom