Want a Pair of Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black02rex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a school of 6x Tiger Barbs in a 55gal tank. I would like to add some Bolivian Rams to this tank to fill it out. And I truly just like the way they look. I have seen all over the interweb that the Barbs are not very friendly with other species of fishes.

Just wondering what the consensus on here is. I do more reading than posting and am sure there is a lot of great information for me floating around on this forum.

Thanks in advance for the help..

Rex

Below is a youtube video showing TB's and Bolivian Rams in a tank. Yes you can have them if you keep a large enough school of TB's so they focus their fin-nipping aggression towards each other. You may also want to consider adding another 2-3 TB's ... supposedly 7 is the "magic" number where the shoal is large enough .. so 2-3 puts you in a good position number wise.

Hope this helps.

I wonder, are there any scuffles or fin nipping? Ill definitely get a couple more Barbs to fill out the school!

I am going to get some more tomorrow then.

I am excited to get some Bolivians, this has made my day.

I wonder, are there any scuffles or fin nipping? Ill definitely get a couple more Barbs to fill out the school!

It's a valid concern when you go with TB's, but I've been finding (from reading threads this and other forums) that TB's exhibit the most fin-nipping to Non-Barbs when they are keep it too small a shoal with large finned, slow swimming fish ... it's just too irresistible I guess.

Yes, increasing the shoal should help keep their aggression among themselves as they establish hierarchy for their shoal. If you can, avoid buying a TB's that are smaller than the others in the tank. Sometimes the smallest member of the shoal is seen as the weakest and could get bullied and fin-nipped to the point of stress ... thus disease.

Good luck!!(y) I've pondered adding a ram or two, but my tank's crowded enough for now.

Thanks so much for replying. I just finished fish less cycling my 55 and want to put some fishes that will be tranquil and happy. The barbs I chose were a little more active than their profiles would lead one to understand. And, truthfully I got tiger and cherry mixed up on their attitudes. I lke these guys a lot though and now that I'm sure I can put the rams in I like them a bit more! If worse comes to worse I can transplant my angel from my 48g corner to my 55g and put the barbs in the corner tank. There are options available if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom